CalendarAgent wants to use your login keychain messages after upgrading to OS X Mavericks

28-Oct-2013

Views 9457

I’ve been getting this KeyChain access dialog popping up ever since I’ve upgraded to OS X Mavericks, finally found a solution to make it go away permanently. Here’s how.

This is the dialog box I am talking about:

key1.png

To stop it from appearing, I run the “Keychain Access.app”, right clicked the “login” key chain and selected the change settings option.

key2.png

In the setting I unticked the lock options and saved.

key3.png

No more annoying popup every 5 minutes!

-i

Posted by on Mon Oct 28 06:49:46 2013 in Apple

comments powered by Disqus

Comments

Note: old style comments disabled, use the Disqus comments above
  • Romain on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 17:12:27

It doesn’t work for me :/

• Michael on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 23:08:24

I tried what you said about right clicking log in items in keychain to stop the pop ups but do I want the lock to be open or closed sfter I have done this?

• ikromin on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 23:33:03

It should be unlocked so that the keychain is accessible.

• laura on Saturday, December 7, 2013 - 06:05:16

• James on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 09:11:55

This did not work. Instead I just removed all of my keychains in the Library directory. rm -r Keychains

• curley on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 20:00:32

How do you run that Keychain thing? in “layperson” terms?

• Paul on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 16:36:32

Just updated to OSX 10.9.1 and started getting this problem. The beauty of my situation is that I have NEVER set a password for my keychain, and yet it will not accept a blank password. I can’t change the keychain settings because you need the password for that, and I can’t change the password because you need the password for that too. So I wonder what apple has randomly set my keychain password to? Any ideas? Perhaps it’s, “ThisWillMakeYouUpgrade”. Guess what? I’d rather run BeOS at this point.

• Paul on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 16:43:09

You can try this. Best of luck to everyone!

• Paul on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 17:58:23

…never mind, that didn’t work. Instead, I did as James suggested (rm -r Keychains from the Library directory), and the problem is gone. Of course, all my passwords and developer certificates etc. are gone as well, so it’s not a total victory.

• fabio on Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 12:46:10

Same problem !
    Solved. But it´s missing a step !
    #DON´T LOCK YOUR KEYCHAIN AGAIN.
    If this don´t work delete the access delete the login key chain and reboot your mac.
    when u reboot it, u will see pop up ask u again to access the key chain. but now mac will creat automatically a new login key chain. Again do not lock the key chain.
    I hope thats help. Sorry my english is not too good. peace

• AnnD on Sunday, January 5, 2014 - 18:54:22

I upgraded my OS after being prompted for a while. Wish I had read about this issue before doing so. Anyway, I tried doing everything mentioned above, but when I go to the keychain app and right click to change the settings all I get is the “rainbow wheel” and it becomes unresponsive. At that point the only thing that stops this is force quitting. Now, Safari is also getting hung up and won’t fully open without getting the rainbow wheel at which point I also need to force quit. This is very frustrating on a month old MacBook Air!! Any suggestions?

• ikromin on Monday, January 6, 2014 - 05:15:00

You could try to repair the permissions on the system disk using Disk Utility, sometimes that can help.

• Sundos Halawani on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 19:03:05

I have the same problem as “AnnD” have!
    I can’t do anything with the KEYCHAIN App! It gives me the rainbow every time!
    And I am having a very bad time with Safari, Skype and Google Chrome!
    I wish if I never updated -.-

• Rick Beck on Tuesday, February 4, 2014 - 18:09:52

Worked for me. Thanks for this simple solution. Using Mavericks 10.9. Login popups were driving me nuts. It is such a relief to finally not feel like I am retrograding to the windows platform. It is a shame Apple does not supply this solution in their help center for Mavericks. I suppose though that it would severely limit their ability to collect money on calls to address it.

• Michael Henson on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 23:18:45

• julie on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 06:41:48

This keychain debacle has so clogged up my laptop that I can’t even log on to start it up! When it was on before I stopped getting emails because it’s not recognizing my iCloud password anymore. Help! Constant keychain popups that won’t go away!

• Tom Bottrill on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 00:04:07

Thanks, this was really beginning to mac me off!

• Tommy D on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 23:38:51

Thank you, I was pretty mac “ed” off myself. Appreciate it!

• Adam Ritchie on Monday, March 3, 2014 - 06:30:26

AMAZING. Thanks so much… been a rough couple of weeks neglecting finding a solution

• JP on Thursday, March 6, 2014 - 23:43:46

Hey Adam, Tommy, Tom or anyone else that says “it” worked…which solution worked for you? I haven’t found the magic bullet to kill this stupid keychain debacle Apple is wasting our time with. My most choice of the 6 or 7 popups asking for a password everytime anything is done is the “com.apple.internetaccounts.xpc” which doesn’t even accept TYPING in the password box and will not cancel away. Always on my front of my screen. Really!!!
    Please will someone help the victim of Apple upgrades here?

• ikromin on Thursday, March 6, 2014 - 23:47:00

Have you tried following this? https://discussions.apple.com/message/23623310#23623310

1) Went into Keychain Access
    2) From the Menu, selected Keychain Access then Preferences
    3) Under General clicked on “Reset My Default Keychain”

After entering my user password it blew away the user keychain and rebuilt it.

I had to re-enter all my saved passwords, but it worked and the box doesn’t pop-up at least.

• Nicole Z on Sunday, March 9, 2014 - 08:13:30

Thank you. Keychain app had been a thorn in my side.

• Svein Olav Nyberg on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 20:28:00

Well, trying to start Keychain gives me the orange wheel of death, and the popup keeps popping up. But it doesn’t ask for the Password, it just as “an app” wants to use it, and asks me to approve or deny. Neither response from me seems to abet the situation.

• Billhere1942 on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 06:37:15

Installing the 10.9.2 update fixed the bug. Anything I tried in keychain locked up the Keychain App.

• corinne on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 05:25:01

What happens if while i was trying to fix this problem using other suggestions I deleted my login keychain and can’t get it back? :(