Igor's Blog

It's been a while since I've done anything serious in terms of audio to my G35 and my current subwoofer setup has been bothering me for a some time, so I decided that once the weather got better that I would finally start on the new install, and here it is. The amplifier (Alpine PDX-M12) is sunken into the floor with lights illuminating it around the border. The subwoofer box is not ready yet, that is the next part of the install.

Once the existing subwoofer box was taken out, this is what I was left to work with:

The end result was this:

Subtle and clean, but sturdy.

These are the materials I used...9mm MDF board, automotive felt carpet, contact adhesive, LED strip lights, screws, the rubber matting shown in the photo wasn't necessary in the end, but the idea was to have that along the underside of the new floor so that it won't slip or rattle.

With the original floor out, we have the spare wheel. I wanted to keep this as is and fit the amp into the space in the middle of the wheel.

Test fitting the center board and the amp...

With the three sheets of MDF on the floor, I used some tile spacers to add 4mm gaps to give room later on when these will be wrapped with carpet.

I used the original floor as the template to cut out the new floor.


The MDF is cut to size and test fitted, seems to fit in ok...


Because the middle section didn't have any side supports, I had to add some recessed strips to the two outer sections, these are glued and screwed into place.



Next was cutting out the hole for the amp. This had to be bigger than the amp because I was putting in an Acrylic window above the amp, so I made the hole about 10mm bigger on all edges than the actual amp itself.


The amp fits!

On the underside I used a router to make a step for where the Acrylic window will sit.

Test fitting the window...

Next step was to add a shelf for the amplifier. I used some scrap MDF from the sides I've cut earlier to make this. This had to fit nicely inside the spare wheel.



Finally I've cut out a frame that will be used to hold the window from the underside, this has to have the same dimensions as the hole in the center floor piece.

Next up was carpeting everything, this is going to be in a separate post.

Update: Part 2 is here.


, ,
About — I'm an enthusiastic software engineer and consultant interested in many fields including J2EE, programming, electronics, 3D printing, video games, wood working and gardening.
See my Resume for more information.
The views expressed in this blog are my own and not those of my employer.
comments powered by Disqus
My other posts you may like...
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, Tech and more.
Follow me on...
Current and Past Projects
See my Resume


RSS Feed

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer
Travel ┬ÁBlog

Recent Blog Posts

How to install Panel Glide Blinds from Blinds Online

Showing whitespace characters in vi

Using Jackson to automatically convert Java POJOs to JSON as output of a Jersey service

Enable quick access to the keyboard and emoji viewer in macOS

How to tell if your site is served via CloudFlare

Googe Cloud Platform doesn't support CloudFlare's free edge certificates

Fixing the invalid private key error in the Google Cloud Platform App Engine app Settings page

Cleaning the sticky PlayStation controller analogue thumb sticks

Invoking interactive shell scripts non-interactively

Using variables as column numbers with Bash and Awk when processing text files

Recent Galleries

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

DIY indoor apartment grow light wiring

Good Friday Electronics fun Easter Bunny LED PCB Kit IBEABU-01.0

Top Categories

Blogs I follow

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth


RAWS Parts Online
Alpha Dimensions Hosting
Kristensen Photography
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Follow me on... 
...or subscribe for updates!

Don't show this again