Igor's Blog

This is a follow up post from Part 1 where I started the boot install, in this post I talk about the carpeting, fitting the acrylic window and mounting the amplifier.

This is the end result with the whole floor carpeted and the amplifier fitted:
IMG_0720.JPG




The first thing I did was putty up the holes in all the parts that were being carpeted. This was just normal wood putty that had a 30min drying time.
IMG_0658.JPG


The putty was sanded down and I decided to route out 2mm on the middle section supports to allow for the carpet to be laid over them, it didn't turn out very good, but since it was going to be covered in carpet I didn't try to fix it.
IMG_0660.JPG


So then the contact adhesive went on, both sides, 5 minutes before sticking the carpet on.
IMG_0661.JPG


Once the carpet was on the MDF, I smoothed it out by rubbing it in circular motions until it felt tight across the top, then it was wrapped around the sides and stapled.
IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG


Once both the left and right sides were done, it was time to test fit these...
IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG


Turned out the right side had a huge gap, so while I still had the time with the contact adhesive not being fully dry, I've undone some of the staples, peeled back the carpet and put in a piece of MDF that I cut out to fill in the gap.
IMG_0671.JPG


The piece of MDF was glued in using PVA and stapled, then the carpet was stretched over it and stapled back again.
IMG_0672.JPG


Then I cut out a hole for the ring pull and routed out around the outside so it will be more sunken in when fitted later.
IMG_0673.JPG


After all of that and a lunch break, it was time to do the centre section. This is the trickiest due to the hole that's cut out, and the shelf for the amplifier that's inside. All visible surfaces had to be carpeted.
IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG


Test fitting it...
IMG_0676.JPG


...and mounting the ring pull...
IMG_0677.JPG


Test fitting the acrylic...
IMG_0678.JPG


I needed to cut out a frame to mount the acrylic window from the underside, this too had to be carpeted because it would be partially visible from the top.
IMG_0715.JPG


I thought about how I would mount the amplifier itself in a way to make it easy to remove if needed, which meant that I could not mount it the normal way with the screws through the top. So I've decided to cut pieces of dowel and put them into the amplifier's mounting holes, then put screws in from the bottom into the dowel.
IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG


Now finally I could put the acrylic window in and mount the amp...
IMG_0718.JPG


...and finally with the lights:
IMG_0719.JPG


The floor is finally done, but that's not the end. I've still got to work on the new subwoofer enclosure, which is started, but is work in progress.

Part 3 is here.

-i

, ,
About — I'm an enthusiastic software engineer and consultant interested in many fields including J2EE, programming, electronics, 3D printing, video games, wood working and gardening.
See my Resume for more information.
The views expressed in this blog are my own and not those of my employer.
comments powered by Disqus
My other posts you may like...
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, Tech and more.
Follow me on...
Current and Past Projects
See my Resume

Subscribe


RSS Feed

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
StrFunc() Online
300 George St Blogumentary
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer

Recent Blog Posts

NeoOffice Viewer macOS Word Document viewer vs Preview and Microsoft Word

Importance of cleaning the internal fans and heatsinks in a MacBook Pro

Adding an email subscribe feature to your Blog with Blogtrottr

How to remove Google's logo from your G Suite applications

Pedestal fan transformed into a ceiling fan

Testing the Velvet WiFi Hotshot signal strength

Improving slow download speeds on the PS4 and PSN

Add batch image resize functionality to macOS using Automator

Show transfer percentage and speed when copying files in Linux and Bash

So I finally got to try eating some space food

Recent Galleries

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

DIY indoor apartment grow light wiring

Good Friday Electronics fun Easter Bunny LED PCB Kit IBEABU-01.0

Top Categories

Blogs I follow

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth

Friends

RAWS Parts Online
Alpha Dimensions Hosting
Kristensen Photography
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Please follow me on...