Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

I've had my Raspberry Pi Model A for quite a time and it's got quite a workout over the years and unfortunately the USB port became really mangled. The pins inside somehow got bent out of shape and none of the devices plugged in would work. At first I thought this spelled the end for this Model A RPi, however after a bit of thinking I decided that I could just desolder the USB port and replace it with a USB type B cable.

This is what the port looked like...Nothing is going to work in that!
CIMG5939.JPG


After a bit of coercion with the soldering iron, the USB port came out. It wasn't a clean extraction but I got it out. At the same time I stripped and tinned the USB cable end.

CIMG5940.JPG CIMG5941.JPG


Then it was just a matter of soldering in the cable where the old USB port was.
CIMG5943.JPG




The reason I chose to use a USB type B cable is so that it can plug into my USB hub directly. Essentially it means that instead of 1 USB port my RPi now had 7!
IMG_0701.jpg


So does this work? Indeed it does! Here's a photo of the RPi compiling a new kernel. So far I've not had any issues with this set up. WiFi works, USB storage works, keyboard works, seems very functional overall.
IMG_0702.jpg


-i

Please leave your comments or feedback below!
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

WebLogic Maven Plugin - How to fix the MojoExecutionException: The artifact location was not specified

jPhotoFrame version 0.4 released with a whole new layout engine

Upcycling a couple of old broken lamps to create something amazing

A custom exception mapper and writer for a RESTful JAX-RS Jersey service

How to fix Plex error - Sorry there was a problem playing this item

Jersey JAX-RS filters and interceptors execution order for a POST request

Fix your Mac - users not showing on the macOS login screen when FileVault is enabled

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Writing a custom MessageBodyReader to process POST body data with Jersey

How to make Skype for Business responsive again on macOS

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity