Adding HTTP Authentication to SoapUI testrunner.sh test cases I've written recently about some peculiar behaviour in SoapUI when using Setup Scripts and also about using testrunner.sh and project properties to to run SoapUI tests via the command line. Those articles were informative in their own right but they didn't cover one important part that many web services usually (and should!) have - authentication. So I'm going to tackle that here, or specifically how to make your SoapUI test cases authenticate to a web service.
Running test case in SoapUI fails to run test suite Groovy Setup Script I've been doing testing with SoapUI testrunner.sh script recently and have come across a very peculiar behaviour. If you run a specific test case, testrunner.sh will not execute the Groovy Setup Script for the test suite that the test case belongs to. However at the same time if you enable response capture and don't specify the test suite, the test suite name will appear as a part of the request/response file name. It seems that SoapUI is still processing the test suite, just not running any of its setup code.
Testing using SoapUI property values, SOAP response capture and no GUI I recently had to analyse the performance of a web service that can be used to upload documents into a database, SoapUI was the natural choice for this but I didn't want to run it from my laptop so I could avoid network transfer times interfering with my results. This meant I had to run SoapUI directly on the server where the web service was running.
Change the JRE used for SoapUI on OSX I use SoapUI on a regular basis and today I wanted to change the JDK that it uses. I've noticed that by default the OS X installation of SoapUI 5.1.2 is using JRE 1.7. On my system, I've had the 1.8 JDK set as the default for quite some time, my ~/.profile file pointed to the 1.8 JDK bin directory for the PATH and the JAVA_HOME was set correctly, so it was puzzling to me why 1.7 was being picked up by SoapUI. I dug a little deeper and found the answer.
SoapUI not respecting authorisation settings for web service requests We've been moving our web services over from Oracle Application Server 10g to WebLogic 12c. This meant that the authorisation settings for these services have changed. We were no longer using the same users/passwords to authenticate to a web service with each request. While testing this out I've noticed that SoapUI had some really odd behaviour and was not respecting some of the authorisation settings that I used.
SoapUI taking a long time to establish a connection Some of the recent work I've been doing required the use of SoapUI to do some basic load testing. When I first started this, every request I tried sending to the server was taking 30+ seconds to complete. This really stumped me because another, pretty much identical environment would respond immediately. I've finally tracked down the issue to DNS.