Igor's Blog

As part of the renovations at home we've decided to install some Panel Glide Blinds from Blinds Online (blindsonline.com.au). I was surprised that the descriptions and photos of what the panel glide system looks like and how it is installed were not available online so here's my experience with installation, photos and all.

Overall I must say that the panel blinds are fantastic. Very happy with the results and the amount of light they block out (we got the block out fabric but other fabrics are available that let light though). Below is the final installation with and without the blinds drawn on one of the sliding doors.

DSC02093.JPG DSC02094.JPG

This is how the blinds are packaged for mailing - they come in two boxes. The long slim box contains the glide system railing and the bigger box contains the rest of the hardware and the panels.

DSC02072.JPG DSC02076.JPG

[Read More and Comment]  

, ,

If you tend to use vi for editing text files you've probably had a need to look for whitespace characters such as spaces or tabs. These are not typically visible since, well, they are empty space essentially. In vi there is an option to show these characters so you can quickly tell what's a space and what's a tab. In addition this option will show the start of the line (^) and end of the line ($) using their standard regex characters.

To enable this option, type in the following in vi...
:set list

If you no longer need to see whitespace and line terminators, type this in...
:set nolist

[Read More and Comment]  


REST services are great, JSON is great, not having to do any manual conversion between POJOs and JSON is even better. Here's how you do that with Jersey.

If you haven't read it, check out my previous article about Using Jersey 2.x as a shared library on WebLogic 12.1.2. If you're not using WebLogic 12.1.2 or Jersey as a shared library, this article is still relevant but you'll have to take care of your own service packaging.

First add Jackson as a dependency to your Maven POM.

Then in your application class (the one that extends ResourceConfig) make sure to register the JacksonFeature class. If you're not familiar with the Jersey application model, read about it here.
 REST Application
public class MyApplication extends ResourceConfig {
public MpMapApplication() {

Finally in your resource (the class annotated with @Path, as described here) add @Produces annotation with MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON as the parameter. This tells Jersey that your resource will produce JSON output. The annotation can be either on the resource class itself, or any of the methods that are required to produce JSON output.

[Read More and Comment]  

, , , ,

The keyboard and emoji viewers are handy utilities in macOS and it's possible to access them quickly by enabling an option in the Keyboard Preferences. This lets you bring up the keyboard or the emoji viewer easily from the top menu bar like this...

To enable that go to System Preferences from the Apple menu, then click on Keyboard and tick the 'Show keyboard and emoji viewers in menu bar'.

[Read More and Comment]  

, ,
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, Tech and more.
Follow me on...
Current and Past Projects
See my Resume


RSS Feed

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer
Travel ┬ÁBlog

Recent Blog Posts

How to install Panel Glide Blinds from Blinds Online

Showing whitespace characters in vi

Using Jackson to automatically convert Java POJOs to JSON as output of a Jersey service

Enable quick access to the keyboard and emoji viewer in macOS

How to tell if your site is served via CloudFlare

Googe Cloud Platform doesn't support CloudFlare's free edge certificates

Fixing the invalid private key error in the Google Cloud Platform App Engine app Settings page

Cleaning the sticky PlayStation controller analogue thumb sticks

Invoking interactive shell scripts non-interactively

Using variables as column numbers with Bash and Awk when processing text files

Recent Galleries

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

DIY indoor apartment grow light wiring

Good Friday Electronics fun Easter Bunny LED PCB Kit IBEABU-01.0

Top Categories

Blogs I follow

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth


RAWS Parts Online
Alpha Dimensions Hosting
Kristensen Photography
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Follow me on... 
...or subscribe for updates!

Don't show this again