Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

NOTE: This article is 3 years or older so its information may no longer be relevant. Read on at your own discretion! Comments for this article have automatically been locked, refer to the FAQ for more details.
I've been trying to set up JVisualVM to monitor a number of JVMs that are running as a part of an application server install. These JVMs are on JDK5, which can be monitored with JVisualVM, but for some reason every time I started it up, it crashed with a seg fault.

This is the error I was getting every time...
$ bin/jvisualvm
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fe9c348ae97, pid=1399, tid=1146399040
#
# JRE version: 6.0_31-b04
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (20.6-b01 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [libsaproc.so+0x1e97] long double restrict+0x1f
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/hs_err_pid1399.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
bin/../lib/visualvm//platform/lib/nbexec: line 539: 1399 Aborted "/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/bin/java" -Djdk.home="/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31" -classpath "/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/boot.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/org-openide-modules.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/org-openide-util.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/org-openide-util-lookup.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/locale/boot_ja.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/locale/boot_zh_CN.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_ja.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_zh_CN.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util_ja.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-lookup_ja.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-lookup_zh_CN.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util_zh_CN.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/dt.jar:/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/tools.jar" -Dnetbeans.dirs="bin/../lib/visualvm//visualvm:bin/../lib/visualvm//profiler:" -Dnetbeans.home="/home/xxx/jdk1.6.0_31/lib/visualvm/platform" '-client' '-Xms24m' '-Xmx256m' '-Dsun.jvmstat.perdata.syncWaitMs=10000' '-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true' '-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false' -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath="/home/xxx/.visualvm/7/var/log/heapdump.hprof" org.netbeans.Main --userdir "/home/xxx/.visualvm/7" "--branding" "visualvm" 0<&0


So it turned out the issue was that I was using a 64bit JVisualVM to monitor a 32bit JVM. Since the bitness was not matched, a seg fault occurred. The fix is to use a 32bit JVisualVM to monitor a 32bit JVM.



-i

Skip down to comments...
A quick disclaimer...

Although I put in a great effort into researching all the topics I cover, mistakes can happen. If you spot something out of place, please do let me know.

All content and opinions expressed on this Blog are my own and do not represent the opinions of my employer (Oracle). Use of any information contained in this blog post/article is subject to this disclaimer.
 
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...