Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

I bought a bunch of iron-on transfer paper to experiment with creating designs for tshirts so thought I'd write a little about it. The paper I got was for dark fabric, so it looks completely white, this makes it perfect for creating designs that look like silhouettes.

This is the end result for one of the designs I tried:
photo_5.jpg


To start I found a design, anything will work but the best and easiest to work with is something can can be cut out as a single piece. The particular design I picked had a few gaps within it, I simply coloured them in before printing it out. This design is printed on normal paper.
photo_1.jpg




Once I had the design printed, I traced it onto the back side of the transfer paper, it's important to do it on the back so as not to get any ink on the transfer paper itself, otherwise it won't stick. Depending on the design it might be a good idea to mirror it before printing.

I used some scissors and a scalpel to cut it out afterwards. The scalpel is useful in those hard to reach parts of designs. The transfer paper is a little stretchy so cutting very fine sections of it can get difficult with scissors.
photo_0.jpg


Next was to heat up the iron to the hottest setting and place the design where I wanted it on a tshirt. The tshirt I used is just a normal Bonds raglan T, brand new they have a crease right alone the centre so placing the design is very easy.
photo_2.jpg


Once the iron is hot and design in the desired location, I used the back (wide) side of the iron to press down on the design. The idea is to apply heat evenly for around 10 seconds at a time all around the design, this will adhere the transfer paper to the fabric. Some pressure is required for this too.

Once the design is ironed on, it will be hot, so I leave it for 5-10 minutes. Once it's cooled down, it's time to peel off the backing paper.
photo_3.jpg


...and then inspect the result.
photo_4.jpg


This takes under 20 minutes from start to finish and the results are pretty cool I think.

-i

Have comments or feedback on what I wrote? Please share them below! Found this useful? Consider sending me a small tip.
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

How to fix Google Cloud SDK dev server error - No module named ipaddr

Adorable but totally metal - Metal Earth 3D Guardians of the Galaxy Groot model kit

Riverside Expressway Cam shut down permanently

Inserting Google DFP ads with Backbone, Underscore and jQuery

How to resolve the domain is already mapped to a project error in Google App Engine

A quick look at the Nyko Super MiniBoss wireless controllers for the SNES mini

Loading and displaying a collection from bootstrapped data in Backbone.js

Add this handy function to your Bash profile file to display the compiled JDK version for a .class file

How does PCBWay stack up as a low budget PCB fab

Resolving the Cannot reference X before supertype constructor is called compiler error in Java

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity