Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

This is a bit of an unconventional post but worthwhile anyway, since I moved to my new apartment the 3D printer has been sitting outside on the balcony and as a result getting covered in lots of dust from the highway below. I've decided to bust out my old sewing machine and make a cover for the printer.

Here is the final result:
CIMG5192.JPG


The fabric was quite cheap at $3.5/m from a cut offs store. I had the sewing machine already, so all that was needed was to get the pattern right. This is something I improvised on as I went.



I went for the dark blue fabric primarily because it was the only dark colour available at the shop. For its price, I am not complaining and the blue actually works well as a cover. So I started cutting...
CIMG5182.JPG


At first I had a much more complex idea for a cover with zips, etc, but went for a simpler one with a slant to accommodate the exhaust and the plastic spool. At this point I wasn't sure what I was going to do on the side that had the spool, so only cut out the other sides and started sewing.
CIMG5183.JPG


This is my trusty sewing machine...a Singer 201k, electric.
CIMG5184.JPG


Pinning the fabric together...
CIMG5185.JPG


...and the first stitch is in place!
CIMG5186.JPG


Couple more stitches and the cover is ready for a test fit, seems ok so far.
CIMG5187.JPG


More stitches and it's taking shape.
CIMG5188.JPG


With all but one side covered now, I had to work out what to do on the spool side of the cover. Originally I was thinking some kind of zip, but decided to go for a simpler approach of having a triangular piece instead.
CIMG5189.JPG


With the piece sewed in, it works pretty well.
CIMG5190.JPG


Now it was time to hem it. I went with a double stitch hem.
CIMG5191.JPG


The complete cover works pretty well and is easy to slip on.
CIMG5192.JPG

CIMG5193.JPG


-i

Have comments or feedback on what I wrote? Please share them below! Found this useful? Consider sending me a small tip.
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

How to fix Google Cloud SDK dev server error - No module named ipaddr

Adorable but totally metal - Metal Earth 3D Guardians of the Galaxy Groot model kit

Riverside Expressway Cam shut down permanently

Inserting Google DFP ads with Backbone, Underscore and jQuery

How to resolve the domain is already mapped to a project error in Google App Engine

A quick look at the Nyko Super MiniBoss wireless controllers for the SNES mini

Loading and displaying a collection from bootstrapped data in Backbone.js

Add this handy function to your Bash profile file to display the compiled JDK version for a .class file

How does PCBWay stack up as a low budget PCB fab

Resolving the Cannot reference X before supertype constructor is called compiler error in Java

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity