Igor's Blog
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, and Tech

While I am waiting to put together all the work on my upcoming clock project, I decided to get something simple to assemble. I ordered one of these DIY 7-segment display clock kits on eBay, it is also available on sites like banggood.com. The kit took under an hour to make and overall I was very impressed with the quality and would recommend it to anyone from beginner to advanced as it is a fun and useful little project.

This is the end result for the clock that I've put together. Stay on for step-by-step instructions further down.

Can't wait to see all the photos?
Open image gallery
for this post.

I ordered two kits, one red and one blue. They came nicely packaged in soft foam wrapping.
Unfortunately I received only one case (I ordered two). The missing case is being sent to me however.

IMG_1223.jpg IMG_1225.jpg

So lets see what's in the kit. There are instructions (in Chinese I presume - not a word of English), circuit boards, all the electronic components, ICs, the LED displays and the USB cable for power. This is put together quite nicely. The circuit board is of great quality too.

IMG_1226.jpg IMG_1227.jpg

Since the instructions were more or less useless to me, I just followed some common sense when soldering everything in place. This is the order of components that I soldered on (these are numbered in the instruction drawing)...
 Soldering order
4.7k - R1, R2, R3, R12, R14, R15, R16, R17,
510 - R4 - R11
Q5, Q4, Q3, Q2, Q1
C1, C2, C3, C4
U1, U2
LS1, JK1, S1, S2, BT1
DS1 - DS4

So lets see these in pictures...the resistors and the diode were in first.

Transistors and capacitors were in next.

After this the switches, battery holder, IC sockets, pin header, speaker and power socket went in.

The crystal went in last, though I should have probably soldered it in while doing the resistors. With the battery holder in place at this point, it was a bit difficult to get it in place.

I was a little worried about the LED displays fitting properly so I made sure to cut down the legs of all the components as close to the board as I could. This is needed because the LED displays are soldered over the top of the legs of other components, on the opposite side of the board.

Then, making sure that the displays fitted flat and were aligned, I soldered each one in. I soldered pins on a diagonal of each display first, then soldered the rest of the pins. This made it easier to keep the displays aligned while soldering and gave some room for adjustments.

IMG_1239.jpg IMG_1240.jpg

Now it was time to fit the ICs. The pins on one of mine were quite bent out of shape, but nothing a pair of pliers couldn't fix.

IMG_1241.jpg IMG_1242.jpg

Finally it was the moment of truth! Plugging it in. All the displays lit up first time! At this point, I put the battery in too. The display didn't show anything resembling time however, I had to fumble with the buttons to work out how to set the time, this wasn't hard, one button selects the fragment to change (minutes/hours/alarm state) and the other button adjusts it.

IMG_1243.jpg IMG_1244.jpg

Once the time was all set, I've started to put the case together. The assembly is more or less obvious. I really like how the nuts fit into the grooves and the bolts come down through perpendicular acrylic sheets to secure in place. Nice design.

IMG_1245.jpg IMG_1246.jpg

That's all there is to it!

Oh I did have some left-over components...


I was wondering what that pin header was for so looked this up. One of the ICs is a STC15F204EA microprocessor, so it's actually programmable and that's what the pins do, you can write your own code and upload it to the clock. Unfortunately the kit doesn't come with the code that's there out of the box.

Open image gallery
for this post.

Good luck putting together your own!


Please leave your comments or feedback below!
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...

Recent Blog Posts

How to enable the full stack trace in Maven's Surefire plugin for JUnit testing

Twelve elements of the Burst Mining Pool interface explained

TPG FTTB settings for the Billion BiPAC 8700AXL 1600 modem router

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

How to fix SoapUI javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException calling WebLogic 12.2 web services on Java 8

Woolworths (WOW) shares disappeared from Computer Share Investor Centre

Connecting the Dell UltraSharp U3415W monitor to a MacBookPro via USB-C

How to add/change PHP versions appearing in MAMP preferences

Fix the ORA-00904: ORA_ROWSCN: invalid identifier error in SQLDeveloper with a few easy steps

G Suite Gmail is broken on Safari due to new Google Content Security Policy settings

Recent Galleries

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer
Travel ┬ÁBlog

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Don't forget to
my Facebook page for more great articles!
Don't show this again