Igor's Blog

I've put up a small gallery of photos showing off my latest woodworking project, the Hardwood Tiger Stripe TV Unit, this article shows some of what I did to transform a piece of water logged hardwood into this piece of furniture. I've also put up a full gallery of photos showing the construction process.

To give you an idea, I took the piece of wood shown in the photo on the left and made it into the TV unit shown in the photo on the right.

IMG_0506.jpg IMG_0655.jpg


The first thing I did was to have the wood cut down to size. The place I got it from cut it roughly to my required dimensions, but I had to trim it down to exact measurements myself at home. After the two pieces were glued together and a great deal of plaining (with a power plane) went in to make the combined piece as flat as possible. There was a slight warp in the wood so it took lots of plaining to get it level.

IMG_0521.jpg IMG_0525.jpg


After the plaining came the task of cleaning out the cracks. This wood was water logged and so was filled with mud. I used an air compressor to blow all this out. Eventually it was all masked off and ready for pouring of the resin.

IMG_0533.jpg IMG_0538.jpg




The resin was poured in stages to avoid shrinkage (however it still managed to get some shrinkage and annoying artefacts in the resin). The whole pouring process took around 2-3 weeks since each pour required about 5 days of curing time. In the end, I sanded the resin down to give me a flat surface.

IMG_0542.jpg IMG_0566.jpg


Meanwhile, I got some Oak boards from a hardware store and glued them together to make the sides, bottom and shelf for the unit.

IMG_0546.jpg IMG_0550.jpg


These new pieces were stained multiple times to match the colour of the top piece.

IMG_0557.jpg IMG_0575.jpg



At this point I also finished sanding the top piece, including rounding the edges and started to lacquer it.
IMG_0579.jpg


After all the pieces were lacquered (5 layers on top and 2 layers on sides/bottom/shelf), I used a router to cut the necessary slots out where the wood was glued together for assembly.

IMG_0589.jpg IMG_0599.jpg


All the wood was glued using epoxy resin. This was done due to a quicker drying time vs PVA.

IMG_0616.jpg IMG_0617.jpg



After all the sides, bottom, shelf and top were glued together, I made a frame for the speaker grille. Standard black speaker cloth was used to cover it, it was stapled to the frame.

IMG_0621.jpg IMG_0623.jpg


The backing and the feet went in next.

IMG_0625.jpg IMG_0626.jpg


Then I ordered some grey polished glass that was cut to size. This glass was used to make swivel doors for the top shelf.

IMG_0642.jpg IMG_0646.jpg


So there you have it, that pretty much sums up the whole project.

Don't forget to check out the finished product gallery and the 'building of' gallery by following the links below!

Finished product:
Open image gallery


Building of:
Open image gallery


-i

, , ,
About — I'm an enthusiastic software engineer and consultant interested in many fields including J2EE, programming, electronics, 3D printing, video games, wood working and gardening.
See my Resume for more information.
The views expressed in this blog are my own and not those of my employer.
comments powered by Disqus
My other posts you may like...
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, Tech and more.
Follow me on...
Current and Past Projects
See my Resume

Subscribe


RSS Feed

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
StrFunc() Online
300 George St Blogumentary
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer

Recent Blog Posts

NeoOffice Viewer macOS Word Document viewer vs Preview and Microsoft Word

Importance of cleaning the internal fans and heatsinks in a MacBook Pro

Adding an email subscribe feature to your Blog with Blogtrottr

How to remove Google's logo from your G Suite applications

Pedestal fan transformed into a ceiling fan

Testing the Velvet WiFi Hotshot signal strength

Improving slow download speeds on the PS4 and PSN

Add batch image resize functionality to macOS using Automator

Show transfer percentage and speed when copying files in Linux and Bash

So I finally got to try eating some space food

Recent Galleries

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

DIY indoor apartment grow light wiring

Good Friday Electronics fun Easter Bunny LED PCB Kit IBEABU-01.0

Top Categories

Blogs I follow

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth

Friends

RAWS Parts Online
Alpha Dimensions Hosting
Kristensen Photography
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Please follow me on...