Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

Now that I got my 3D printer working again and that I've been doing more electronics work I realised that having a solder spool holder/stand saves a lot of effort and frustration so I went out to find one on Thingiverse...and did, then 3D printed an absolute failure. This lead me to design something of my own that actually works.

This is the end result...
IMG_0923.jpg


This is what led me to making my own...

IMG_0916.jpg IMG_0915.jpg


The above design exhibits a typical problem I have found with many designs in the 3D printing community (including some of mine). That is, they try to solve the problem using a single piece model. This leads to spider webs, weak joints and something you need to spend a long time cleaning up after printing. In fact I printed two copies of the failed design and while taking the second one off the printer bed I managed to snap it. I can't imagine something like that lasting any decent amount of time while in use. The second version even had retraction enabled, yet the spider webs were still there!

So I launched OpenSCAD and quickly put my design together...
screenshot.png


Three pieces, all of which are more or less flat. All you do is print each piece and epoxy them together. It's stronger this way, there are no spiderwebs and I think it actually looks nicer too. I made the gaps in the base smaller than the sides on purpose - for wiggle room and for the epoxy to fit.



These are the pieces after printing, and then again after some minor clean up.

IMG_0919.jpg IMG_0920.jpg


Once all the pieces were cleaned up using some small files, I did a dry fit along with the 15mm diameter rod I cut to size.
IMG_0922.jpg



After applying 5 minute epoxy into the gaps in the base and putting the sides in and letting it set, I flipped the stand on its side and put some rubber feet on so that it wouldn't slip all over my desk.
IMG_0924.jpg


With the feet in place it was all done and looked much better than the first model I tried to print!
IMG_0925.jpg


The only thing I'd do differently if I had to make this again is either add more epoxy to the base or make the sides slightly thicker. This isn't necessary, but would look better in my opinion.

All of the files for this design are available over at Multi-Piece Solder Spool Holder - Thingiverse.

-i

Please leave your comments or feedback below!
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

WebLogic Maven Plugin - How to fix the MojoExecutionException: The artifact location was not specified

jPhotoFrame version 0.4 released with a whole new layout engine

Upcycling a couple of old broken lamps to create something amazing

A custom exception mapper and writer for a RESTful JAX-RS Jersey service

How to fix Plex error - Sorry there was a problem playing this item

Jersey JAX-RS filters and interceptors execution order for a POST request

Fix your Mac - users not showing on the macOS login screen when FileVault is enabled

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Writing a custom MessageBodyReader to process POST body data with Jersey

How to make Skype for Business responsive again on macOS

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity