Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

As I've mentioned before on my renovation articles, storage space is always at a premium when living in an apartment. I've tried various ways to make use of all the space that is available and this time around I had the idea of finally making some good use of a set of corner shelves I had installed quite a while ago. These shelves were triangular and very awkward to store anything on. My idea was to add slide out draws for them, here's the end result...

IMG_1662.jpg IMG_1663.jpg


The draws were almost the full height of each shelf cavity and could be slid out by grabbing them from the top. They were made out of cardboard that I had left over from the packaging that my kitchen splash back came in.

The shape of each cut out is like that so that I could have a steady triangular base and then fold the sides up to make an enclosed box. The measurements were just slightly smaller than the available space in the shelf cavities.

IMG_1645.jpg IMG_1647.jpg


This is what they looked like after folding and sticking together with sticky tape to hold them in shape temporarily.

IMG_1649.jpg IMG_1650.jpg




I ended up making quite a few of these. Packing tape was used to hold them together permanently, it was stuck along all of the unjoined edges.
IMG_1652.jpg


For the outside of these shelf boxes I used a cheap material called "Enviro Cloth" that cost around $3.99/m. It was cut into strips wider than the height of each box and wrapped around with some PVA glue to adhere it in place. I tried using contact adhesive here first but the can I bought seemed to be faulty so switched to PVA. It was a mess to work with but it did get the job done.

IMG_1656.jpg IMG_1657.jpg


Excess cloth was wrapped around and into the inside of each box.
IMG_1658.jpg



Then the bottom was covered in a piece of cloth cut to shape of the box. You can see that when PVA dried out it was almost not noticeable.

IMG_1660.jpg IMG_1661.jpg


That about wraps it up. These shelves were sturdy enough to keep lots of items inside them, though they did struggle and bend a little when I had them loaded to the brim with old computer hard drives. The best part was all of the things that would have usually fallen off/out of the shelves before were now safely inside the drawers. This also meant that I could fit a lot more into these shelves which was my initial goal!

-i

Please leave your comments or feedback below!
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

WebLogic Maven Plugin - How to fix the MojoExecutionException: The artifact location was not specified

jPhotoFrame version 0.4 released with a whole new layout engine

Upcycling a couple of old broken lamps to create something amazing

A custom exception mapper and writer for a RESTful JAX-RS Jersey service

How to fix Plex error - Sorry there was a problem playing this item

Jersey JAX-RS filters and interceptors execution order for a POST request

Fix your Mac - users not showing on the macOS login screen when FileVault is enabled

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Writing a custom MessageBodyReader to process POST body data with Jersey

How to make Skype for Business responsive again on macOS

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity