Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

I've had my Ikea Detolf display cabinet for quite some time now and it's great though it does have limited options for shelf placement and the number of shelves. However, that is easily remedied with a few wire rope grips and additional glass shelves.

The end result looks pretty neat I think.
IMG_6696.JPG


So the first thing you will need are some wire grips. I used the 3mm galvanised type (from Bunnings). These fit perfectly onto the Detolf metal supports, even though those supports are 6mm in diameter.

IMG_6685.JPG IMG_6686.JPG




I've positioned the wire grips about 19.5 cm above where the existing shelf supports are, that puts them pretty much in the middle on the available space between existing shelves. Of course this distance is up to you, you could even slant your shelves if you want!

I've faced the nut side of the wire grips parallel to each other looking into the cabinet. I've seen others place them on a 45 degree angle but I really didn't like that positioning.

IMG_6687.JPG IMG_6688.JPG


The new shelves that I had cut are slightly larger than the original Ikea shelves that come with the unit. These are the dimensions of the new shelves:

381mm x 299mm x 3mm

At that size these shelves fit perfectly between the wire supports. I am not sure why Ikea's original shelves stop short of the wire supports, the bigger size gives more surface area and just looks better.
IMG_6694.JPG



The glass then rests on top of the wire grips. I would also recommend putting some clear rubber grips on the glass shelves where they touch the wire grips. I couldn't find any at home so went without them, but it would prevent any scratching/sliding of the glass.
IMG_6695.JPG


That's it, enjoy!

-i

Please leave your comments or feedback below!
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

Using DeoxIT to repair old game catridges

WebLogic Maven Plugin - How to fix the MojoExecutionException: The artifact location was not specified

jPhotoFrame version 0.4 released with a whole new layout engine

Upcycling a couple of old broken lamps to create something amazing

A custom exception mapper and writer for a RESTful JAX-RS Jersey service

How to fix Plex error - Sorry there was a problem playing this item

Jersey JAX-RS filters and interceptors execution order for a POST request

Fix your Mac - users not showing on the macOS login screen when FileVault is enabled

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Writing a custom MessageBodyReader to process POST body data with Jersey

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity