NOTE: This article is 3 years or older so its information may no longer be relevant. Read on at your own discretion! Comments for this article have automatically been locked, refer to the FAQ
for more details.
I've been using Postman
to test some RESTful services and came across a strange error in the body of the response from a service - "Unexpected 'N'"
. I knew for a fact that the service was not returning this error so something else must have been going haywire.
This is what I was seeing in Postman...
However when I switched to raw output, I could see it was displaying 'Not Found'. That was an error string that the service could return. So what was going on here?
Well the service was annotated with this:
That meant that Postman was expecting a JSON object response and was getting a simple string instead!
So Postman was correctly saying that the service response was returning an unexpected value based on the application specification (via the @Produces annotation).
A quick disclaimer...
Although I put in a great effort into researching all the topics I cover, mistakes can happen.
If you spot something out of place, please do let me know.
All content and opinions expressed on this Blog are my own and do not represent the opinions of my employer (Oracle).
Use of any information contained in this blog post/article is subject to this disclaimer
Other posts you may like...