Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

I've had a couple of old broken lamps laying around so thought why not combine them and make something cool out of their parts. The lamps I had were an Ikea FILLSTA table lamp that had it's shade removed and then I had this egg shaped LED lamp that wasn't lighting up very well any more.

Combined, these look awesome! The egg shape is very unusual and the FILLSTA base makes it look like some sort of spaceship.

The LED lamp used to work very well. It had an inductive charging base so it was possible to remove the egg completely and have it running on batteries for a while. After some time however it wasn't as bright any more so wasn't really usable. Its disassembly was easy, just a bunch of screws holding the LED portion together. Unfortunately the LED part of the lamp couldn't be disassembled as it was fused together plastic parts with circuitry inside. I guess they didn't want anyone to be able to fix it!

DSC02982.JPG DSC02984.JPG

The FILLSTA base was just a standard E27 socket lamp base that connected to mains and had an on/off switch. I had an RGB light bulb that fit this socket and as a bonus the light bulb had its own remote control.

So all I had to do was combine the egg and the base...

DSC02985.JPG DSC02987.JPG

My mere luck the FILLSTA base was almost the exact dimensions of the original (faulty) LED part that I removed from the egg. All I had to do was enlarge some of the holes on the base so that the original screws could be used. I ended up using just three screws - it wasn't coming apart at this point so I didn't see the need to add more.

DSC02989.JPG DSC02990.JPG

That was it! Really quite a simple project. It only took a few minutes to actually put together once I got started. Now I have a cool looking new bedside lamp!


Have comments or feedback on what I wrote? Please share them below! Found this useful? Consider sending me a small tip.
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

How to fix Google Cloud SDK dev server error - No module named ipaddr

Adorable but totally metal - Metal Earth 3D Guardians of the Galaxy Groot model kit

Riverside Expressway Cam shut down permanently

Inserting Google DFP ads with Backbone, Underscore and jQuery

How to resolve the domain is already mapped to a project error in Google App Engine

A quick look at the Nyko Super MiniBoss wireless controllers for the SNES mini

Loading and displaying a collection from bootstrapped data in Backbone.js

Add this handy function to your Bash profile file to display the compiled JDK version for a .class file

How does PCBWay stack up as a low budget PCB fab

Resolving the Cannot reference X before supertype constructor is called compiler error in Java

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity