Igor's Blog

A couple of months ago I managed to get a SGI Octane (in working condition!). I was really after a SGI O2, but the Octane came up, so I took it. I acquired it simply for the purpose of modding it to be my new home file/backup server.

My current server consists of my old MacBook Pro (2009 model) running OS X Lion Server connected to an OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 RAID enclosure. This works really well, but I wanted to make a switch to software based RAID and I wanted to have one device for it all.

This is part 1 of the series of posts that shows what I've done to the original SGI.

So here's what I started with, this thing was HEAVY and built like a tank!

Stripping the Octane down was not so easy, I actually had to find the manual (Octane Owner 007-3435-004) that showed how to remove the skin properly.

All stripped down the Octane looks like this:

The problem here is that the Octane has the two vertical supports inside, obviously these had to go. These are pop riveted in, the whole thing is made up of pieces of sheet metal held together by rivets.

With the first support out I've realised that these things actually keep the case together, doh!

Looking at the case structure closer, the supports only hold the case at the edges, so all I had to do is cut the support off at the desired spot and just rivet it back in place to hold the corners together. So the corner bit is cut off:

...and riveted back into place.

A closer view showing the bit I've riveted back in.

Same deal for the other support, remove the rivets, cut it off, rivet it back in.

Both sides done, the structure looks solid, but with a lot of extra room inside!

Next thing was to mount the disk cage I got from moddiy.com.

To mount this thing in place I just cut 4 holes at the top of the case and riveted the disk cage in.

With some of the skin back on, it's starting to look like a normal case, ready for the Hackintosh parts to go in.

A view from the back. The disk cage lines up nicely with the existing vent.

In the next part I'll show how I've fitted the motherboard and how I've changed the power on button to use a real momentary switch.

Part 2 is available here: Modding a SGI Octane to use as a Hackintosh - Part 2 - Motherboard tray and power button


, , , ,
About — I'm an enthusiastic software engineer and consultant interested in many fields including J2EE, programming, electronics, 3D printing, video games, wood working and gardening.
See my Resume for more information.
The views expressed in this blog are my own and not those of my employer.
comments powered by Disqus
My other posts you may like...
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, Tech and more.
Follow me on...
Current and Past Projects
See my Resume


RSS Feed

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer
Travel ┬ÁBlog

Recent Blog Posts

How to install Panel Glide Blinds from Blinds Online

Showing whitespace characters in vi

Using Jackson to automatically convert Java POJOs to JSON as output of a Jersey service

Enable quick access to the keyboard and emoji viewer in macOS

How to tell if your site is served via CloudFlare

Googe Cloud Platform doesn't support CloudFlare's free edge certificates

Fixing the invalid private key error in the Google Cloud Platform App Engine app Settings page

Cleaning the sticky PlayStation controller analogue thumb sticks

Invoking interactive shell scripts non-interactively

Using variables as column numbers with Bash and Awk when processing text files

Recent Galleries

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

DIY indoor apartment grow light wiring

Good Friday Electronics fun Easter Bunny LED PCB Kit IBEABU-01.0

Top Categories

Blogs I follow

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth


RAWS Parts Online
Alpha Dimensions Hosting
Kristensen Photography
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Follow me on... 
...or subscribe for updates!

Don't show this again