Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

This is part 2 of the series of posts that shows what I’ve done to the original SGI. Part 1 describes the cutting out internal supports and fitting a disk cage.

After making the space available inside the case, the next task was going to be to work out how to fit the motherboard into it. Luckily, the Octane has sliding rails inside for its original modules, I thought that I will reuse those for a motherboard tray that I was going to cut out of acrylic.

Measuring up the available room in the Octane, I've started cutting the tray out.
IMG_0298.JPG




The cut out needed a few trimmings, but after a while it was sliding in quite easily.

Then I've fitted the motherboard mounts into acrylic.
IMG_0301.JPG


Bolting the motherboard into place, it fits as it should, great!
IMG_0302.JPG


Finally to slide it into the case...
IMG_0307.JPG


Next thing was the power button. The Octane had a power button on the front already, however this was just a bit of plastic that pushed a button wired into the front plane board in the original setup, this was of course removed. This presented a problem because there was nowhere to mount another switch behind the plastic push button.

After looking around a little bit at Jaycar, I found the following switch that was pretty much a perfect size to replace the plastic button.
IMG_0315.JPG


Fitting it in, it looks like it was meant to be!
IMG_0316.JPG


The other side is a bit ugly, I had to melt out the original button using an old soldering iron.
IMG_0317.JPG


One more thing I had to do for the case was remove the SCSI cage from the front panel.
IMG_0295.JPG


This allowed me to use the front panel again, which makes the case a bit more sturdy.
IMG_0296.JPG


Now the mod is almost completed, the only bits remaining are to design and make the entire back panel. The SGI didn't have a separate back panel due to its modular design. My plan is to use acrylic to do the job here. Also I want to fit some acrylic inside the case to direct the airflow to the hard disk cage better. Once these are completed, I will write it up on part 3 of this series.

Part 3 is here: Modding a SGI Octane to use as a Hackintosh - Part 3 - Fan vent and rear panel

-i

Have comments or feedback on what I wrote? Please share them below! Found this useful? Consider sending me a small tip.
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

How to fix Google Cloud SDK dev server error - No module named ipaddr

Adorable but totally metal - Metal Earth 3D Guardians of the Galaxy Groot model kit

Riverside Expressway Cam shut down permanently

Inserting Google DFP ads with Backbone, Underscore and jQuery

How to resolve the domain is already mapped to a project error in Google App Engine

A quick look at the Nyko Super MiniBoss wireless controllers for the SNES mini

Loading and displaying a collection from bootstrapped data in Backbone.js

Add this handy function to your Bash profile file to display the compiled JDK version for a .class file

How does PCBWay stack up as a low budget PCB fab

Resolving the Cannot reference X before supertype constructor is called compiler error in Java

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity