Igor's Blog

This post follows on from Part 1 where I showed how I've built the box for the 3D printer. In this post I show how I added an exhaust vent to the box.

This is the final result with the exhaust attached and a few other modifications to the box which I will describe in other posts.

It looks so much better now than the original and provides a better environment for the printer as well as me since there are no more fumes filling up my room.

It took a fair amount of time to get it to this stage primarily because I had to pull the whole box apart one edge a time so I could remove the left over masking tape and more importantly to wrap the aluminium in carbon fibre vinyl. More on this in future posts however.

This post is not in a chronological order exactly since I was working on several changes to the box at the same time. Some of these changes I will describe later.

I've contacted RomScraj about pluggin in an extra fan into the Portabee and they told me that a standard 12v fan is going to work. There is a pin header on the Gen6 board to power it. Unfortunately this header is always on, which is a little annoying I thought as it would have been nice to control the fan to run during print jobs only.

Anyway, this is a fan I started with simply because I had it lying around, it's a CoolerMaster 12025 12cm Blue LED PWM Fan (2000RPM 70CFM). The PWM feature of course would not work, so I used a 2pin PCB header on the +/- wires to make a connector to use later.

Then I used a two wire cable with DuPont connectors on either end to connect the printer to the Gen6 board, it started to spin!

Trial mounting this in the case (I cut the hole for the fan earlier).


At this point I had to take the top of the case out to fit some things properly. I added a fan grille during this time.


Looks pretty cool at night :)

Next I printed an exhaust vent to connect the exhaust piping to and hooked it all up.


Later I printed the other end of the exhaust so that it would fit into the gap in my window.



The last thing with the exhaust was to bolt it together properly. I wanted to be able to remove the exhaust vent without pulling the fan out, so I used longer bolts to attach the fan from the inside-out like this:

Then the exhaust hood bolts on top:

I didn't want the bolts to be exposed like that because they could hurt someone, so I printed some covers for them:


Part 3 is here.


, ,
About — I'm an enthusiastic software engineer and consultant interested in many fields including J2EE, programming, electronics, 3D printing, video games, wood working and gardening.
See my Resume for more information.
The views expressed in this blog are my own and not those of my employer.
comments powered by Disqus
My other posts you may like...
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, Tech and more.
Follow me on...
Current and Past Projects
See my Resume


RSS Feed

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer
Travel ┬ÁBlog

Recent Blog Posts

How to install Panel Glide Blinds from Blinds Online

Showing whitespace characters in vi

Using Jackson to automatically convert Java POJOs to JSON as output of a Jersey service

Enable quick access to the keyboard and emoji viewer in macOS

How to tell if your site is served via CloudFlare

Googe Cloud Platform doesn't support CloudFlare's free edge certificates

Fixing the invalid private key error in the Google Cloud Platform App Engine app Settings page

Cleaning the sticky PlayStation controller analogue thumb sticks

Invoking interactive shell scripts non-interactively

Using variables as column numbers with Bash and Awk when processing text files

Recent Galleries

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

DIY indoor apartment grow light wiring

Good Friday Electronics fun Easter Bunny LED PCB Kit IBEABU-01.0

Top Categories

Blogs I follow

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth


RAWS Parts Online
Alpha Dimensions Hosting
Kristensen Photography
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Follow me on... 
...or subscribe for updates!

Don't show this again