Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

This post follows on from Part 2 where I showed how I've added an exhaust vent to the box. This post deals with the extra bits I've added to stabilise the printer inside the box and to add corner pieces to the aluminium frame to cover sharp edges.

The picture below shows the brackets I've added to the box, these serve the purpose of keeping the printer in the centre. As the extruder pull the filament through, it tends to move the printer around, also the vibrations from printing were moving the printer inside the box, so I decided to add some brackets to hold the printer in the centre.
CIMG4464.JPG




I went through a number of designs for the brackets...
CIMG4452.JPG

CIMG4453.JPG


Eventually I settled on the following:
CIMG4462.JPG

CIMG4463.JPG


In addition to the brackets to hold the printer in place, I added some Z-axis stabilisers to the box. These are not as rigid as the bottom brackets to allow some movement, they also have a lot more surface area to help spread the vibrations.
CIMG4493.JPG

CIMG4497.JPG


Now that the printer was secure inside the box, I wanted to cover up the corners of the box because they had some sharp edges. I designed a corner piece just for this. My original design was very simple.
CIMG4450.JPG


In a later version of the corner piece I've added some extra bits on the inside to make take the width of the aluminium into account. This is what the final result was like:
CIMG4461.JPG


The next entry will talk about making the box look nice by wrapping the aluminium corners into carbon fibre vinyl.

Part 4 is here.

-i

Have comments or feedback on what I wrote? Please share them below! Found this useful? Consider sending me a small tip.
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

How to fix Google Cloud SDK dev server error - No module named ipaddr

Adorable but totally metal - Metal Earth 3D Guardians of the Galaxy Groot model kit

Riverside Expressway Cam shut down permanently

Inserting Google DFP ads with Backbone, Underscore and jQuery

How to resolve the domain is already mapped to a project error in Google App Engine

A quick look at the Nyko Super MiniBoss wireless controllers for the SNES mini

Loading and displaying a collection from bootstrapped data in Backbone.js

Add this handy function to your Bash profile file to display the compiled JDK version for a .class file

How does PCBWay stack up as a low budget PCB fab

Resolving the Cannot reference X before supertype constructor is called compiler error in Java

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity