Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

This post follows on from Part 3 where I added some stabilisers to the box, in this post I cover the aesthetic aspects of the box, namely making it look like something you want to look at every day.

This was the final result for the box, all aluminium corners covered in carbon fibre vinyl, both inside and out, all of the bolts with blue printed washers and the door corners clearly marked out with blue 90 degree corner pieces.
CIMG4490.JPG




My intent was to make the box look nice and carbon fibre always makes boring metal bits stand out. I had a bit of dark grey carbon fibre vinyl left over from my SGI mod, so I decided to use it here.

Each of the corners was removed, wrapped in vinyl and bolted back on. They all looked like this on the outside:
CIMG4454.JPG


The inside was wrapped with a lighter colour vinyl, mostly because I ran out of the dark stuff. The lighter one still looks pretty good I think.
CIMG4485.JPG


It was a long and tedious process removing each corner piece, wrapping it, and screwing it back in.
CIMG4455.JPG

CIMG4459.JPG


When I was about a third of the way through wrapping the corner pieces, I decided to make blue washers for all the bolts because the bolts were causing the vinyl to twist as the bolt was screwed in. This meant removing all the corners again one by one.

This is how you print lots of washers:
CIMG4486.JPG


I think it was worth adding the washers, they add a nice contrast.
CIMG4487.JPG

CIMG4493.JPG


The door I had was the original piece of acrylic I cut out by hand from one of the side pieces, so it had uneven cuts along the corners, I wanted to cover this up, so I printed these:
CIMG4469.JPG


...and fitted them to the door using double sided tape:
CIMG4477.JPG


The box also got some corner pieces:
CIMG4478.JPG


Together, it looks pretty good...
CIMG4479.JPG


Another thing that was bothering me was that the cable for the exhaust fan was just dangling, so I printed a guide for it and attached it to the box with double sided tape also.
CIMG4467.JPG

CIMG4468.JPG


Finally all together, the box looks quite nice!
CIMG4497.JPG


-i

Have comments or feedback on what I wrote? Please share them below! Found this useful? Consider sending me a small tip.
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

How to fix Google Cloud SDK dev server error - No module named ipaddr

Adorable but totally metal - Metal Earth 3D Guardians of the Galaxy Groot model kit

Riverside Expressway Cam shut down permanently

Inserting Google DFP ads with Backbone, Underscore and jQuery

How to resolve the domain is already mapped to a project error in Google App Engine

A quick look at the Nyko Super MiniBoss wireless controllers for the SNES mini

Loading and displaying a collection from bootstrapped data in Backbone.js

Add this handy function to your Bash profile file to display the compiled JDK version for a .class file

How does PCBWay stack up as a low budget PCB fab

Resolving the Cannot reference X before supertype constructor is called compiler error in Java

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity