Igor's Blog
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, and Tech

Continuing the plant theme, I've finally spent enough time with the Parrot Flower Power to give it a proper review. In a nutshell, this little unit has a few sensors that monitor the soil moisture, pH levels, temperature and light levels. The device then sends this to your iOS device (Android version coming soon) which analyses the data, shows you charts of the readings and gives you tasks to do like water your plant, if it detects the need.

Overall I am quite happy with this gadget, although the app needs some polish and the synchronisation can be improved.

So this is the how the Flower Power is packaged, quite relevant really. The app that comes with it is easy enough to use too, but I'll go into that detail later.

IMG_1643.jpg IMG_1666.PNG


So here's to unpacking the Flower Power...



Security seals, security seals everywhere! These were a pain to remove and you have to remove those to get the Flower Power out, unless you just want to cut the plastic.
IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg


Eventually I pried the device from the clutches of the security seals and outer packaging to be presented with this lovely faux-terracota paper pot with the Flower Power 'growing' out of it. This is a really awesome way of presenting such a device, it even has a tag, which I ended up putting into my garden!
IMG_1647.jpg


So what's in the pot? Well, we have the battery, instruction manual and the warranty statement. The instruction manual is folded like origami and unfolds into a big sheet of paper, it's nicely done with clear diagrams on how to get the device running.
IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg


The only real thing to do with Flower Power is to undo the battery compartment and insert the battery, then close it tight again. The device will flash a green light several times afterwards to show that it's activated.
IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg


...then just stick it into the soil making sure that the black part is completely inserted into the soil. The Flower Power should also be placed in a spot that is not completely covered by leaves, so that it can get an accurate sunlight measurement.
IMG_1655.jpg


At this point, that's pretty much it in terms of having to deal with the device itself. The rest is up to the software and I'll write about in the next post.

-i

comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...

Recent Blog Posts

A hack to create an uber jar with the Maven Shade Plugin using local jar files

Is it worth it? Apple USB-C Digital Multi AV adapter vs a cheap eBay clone

Running X11 graphical applications after changing to another user using 'sudo su'

How to stop Facebook using ad images as post sharing thumbnails

Picking lists for Atari Lynx capacitor replacement kits

Performance - 2012 Retina MacBook Pro vs 2017 MacBook Pro

Look and feel - 2012 Retina MacBook Pro vs 2017 MacBook Pro

Using math to work out the diameter of hard to reach water cooling pipes

How to get the unreachable shard in the Hinterlands in DragonAge Inquisition

Measy RC12 wireless 2.4Ghz keyboard touchpad review

Recent Galleries

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

DIY indoor apartment grow light wiring

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer
Travel ┬ÁBlog

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Don't forget to
me for more great articles!
Don't show this again