Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

Spring is coming so it is time to think about planting new chillies. Since my apartment doesn't have any more space for new plants, I decided to build a garden bed at my parents' house. With a bit of recycled wood and some new soil, the chilli seeds are ready for planting.

There was a bit of old wood to work with at the house already, the biggest of which was an old table top. This happened to have 9 rows of planks, which I cut into three lots. The height of each lot of three planks was the perfect height for the garden bed.

The location where this was going to go unfortunately had a bit of concrete buried under the soil. I tried to remove some of this, but it was too difficult, so I put the sides of the garden bed on top of it instead, with cut outs as necessary to make it fit.

CIMG5530.JPG CIMG5531.JPG


A little bit of work later, the sides were put in place with some stakes to secure them. The side close to the bricks had concrete under the soil so the stakes would not go in very deep. The other side, however, we were able to drive the stakes all the way in. (How cool is that sledge hammer?!)

CIMG5535.JPG CIMG5536.JPG




We drove some long stakes into the middle of the bed to hold up the netting that will go in later.

CIMG5537.JPG CIMG5538.JPG


Once the garden bed was done, it was time for soil (the following weekend). We had quite a bit of soil delivered, not all of it for the garden, this was the mound that got dropped off. It only took around 5-6 wheelbarrows to fill the garden bed.

IMG_0051.jpg IMG_0052.jpg


The last touch before planting was to add a drip hose. The sides of the garden bed are going to have netting all around to protect it from local animals (bats, cats and possums in our case). Because of this, I thought it would be easier to connect a drip hose rather than having to manually water it all the time.

I used some pegs to secure the hose to the ground; found these in the same location as tent pegs at my local hardware store.

IMG_0061.jpg IMG_0062.jpg


Now it's all ready for the planting!

-i

Have comments or feedback on what I wrote? Please share them below! Found this useful? Consider sending me a small tip.
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

How to fix Google Cloud SDK dev server error - No module named ipaddr

Adorable but totally metal - Metal Earth 3D Guardians of the Galaxy Groot model kit

Riverside Expressway Cam shut down permanently

Inserting Google DFP ads with Backbone, Underscore and jQuery

How to resolve the domain is already mapped to a project error in Google App Engine

A quick look at the Nyko Super MiniBoss wireless controllers for the SNES mini

Loading and displaying a collection from bootstrapped data in Backbone.js

Add this handy function to your Bash profile file to display the compiled JDK version for a .class file

How does PCBWay stack up as a low budget PCB fab

Resolving the Cannot reference X before supertype constructor is called compiler error in Java

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity