Igor's Blog

This is part 2 of the post I started about installing an Alpine IVE-W554ABT headunit in my V35. The first post covered the basics of getting started, pulling wiring through from the boot and assembling the headunit into the stock brackets. This post finishes up the install description with the rest of the wiring that was done in the boot and at the back of the headunit.

Wiring up the headunit's wiring harness to the Metra 70-7550 was quite straight forward. I hooked up everything apart from the rear speaker connections because in my case, I had separate wires for those running from the speakers and into the centre console. So you can see the purple and green wires in the photo no connected to the Metra harness, I soldered them directly to the speaker wires in the centre console. Some wiring was not necessary so I just isolated those, but didn't pull them out.
IMG_0747.jpg


Here's a wiring diagram that I used, it's from the Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List.


non-bose-wiring.png


Note: The reverse signal wire was NOT purple as per the diagram, it was in fact Orange, even thought I have a coupe.

The rest of the wiring for the headunit had to be connected too, this includes the antenna, rear camera, etc. We also put the headunit assembly back in place and connected all the stock wiring to it for the aircon control, navigation, etc.

The difficulty came next, the front speakers...I didn't want (or rather it was next to impossible) to run new wiring from the doors to the centre console, so I used stock wiring. This didn't work unless I had the stock amp running, and that sounded terrible. So we decided to see if we can bypass the amp somehow. Well, turns out you can but it's a total pain to find the information.


I managed to track down the following wiring sheet:
Amp-Bypass-Wiring.png


This made the job so much easier, so I removed the stock amp and trialled the bypass...
IMG_0754.jpg


It worked! The front speakers were loud and clear, exactly as they should be, and they were running off the headunit too. At this point I clipped the stock amp wiring and connected the relevant wires together as per the diagram (FR+ input to FR+ output, etc).
IMG_0755.jpg


With the wiring all done we put the car back together.

We did try to get the steering wheel controls working, but were not sure what should be connected where because the wiring colours did not match the G35 Driver wiring charts. We were also not certain where the M39 harness actually was. I'd like to revisit this at a later point but for now the steering wheel controls do nothing.

-i

, , , ,
About — I'm an enthusiastic software engineer and consultant interested in many fields including J2EE, programming, electronics, 3D printing, video games, wood working and gardening.
See my Resume for more information.
The views expressed in this blog are my own and not those of my employer.
comments powered by Disqus
My other posts you may like...
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, Tech and more.
Follow me on...
Current and Past Projects
See my Resume

Subscribe


RSS Feed

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer
Travel ┬ÁBlog

Recent Blog Posts

How to install Panel Glide Blinds from Blinds Online

Showing whitespace characters in vi

Using Jackson to automatically convert Java POJOs to JSON as output of a Jersey service

Enable quick access to the keyboard and emoji viewer in macOS

How to tell if your site is served via CloudFlare

Googe Cloud Platform doesn't support CloudFlare's free edge certificates

Fixing the invalid private key error in the Google Cloud Platform App Engine app Settings page

Cleaning the sticky PlayStation controller analogue thumb sticks

Invoking interactive shell scripts non-interactively

Using variables as column numbers with Bash and Awk when processing text files

Recent Galleries

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

DIY indoor apartment grow light wiring

Good Friday Electronics fun Easter Bunny LED PCB Kit IBEABU-01.0

Top Categories

Blogs I follow

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth

Friends

RAWS Parts Online
Alpha Dimensions Hosting
Kristensen Photography
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Follow me on... 
     
...or subscribe for updates!

Don't show this again