Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.
Notice: I'm taking a break from blogging to focus on Atari Gamer . com, check it out!

NOTE: This article is 3 years or older so its information may no longer be relevant. Read on at your own discretion! Comments for this article have automatically been locked, refer to the FAQ for more details.
I've started this ambitious project around 3 months ago, its intent was to rebuild the Portabee 3D printer to make it more robust, easier to service and more stable. Now with the project complete I'm finally getting around to writing about the experience.

This is part three in the series of posts describing the project to rebuild the Portabee. This part will talk about the changes to the y-axis.

If you haven't read part two, you can find it here: http://www.igorkromin.net/index.php/2015/03/04/rebuilding-the-portabee-3d-printer-part-2/.

This part is relatively short compared to the others. The only changes to the y-axis were to use longer steel rods. I simply got 300mm rods in place of the original Portabee rods.

I had to disconnect the driver belt to extend the axis, that was a simple task. Luckily the existing belt had enough slack to make it usable with the new extended axis.

With the y-axis back together I could then start working on putting the whole printer back together. The y-axis had to go in to sit within the z-axis. Around this time I also attached the rest of the wiring connectors on the motors as I've previously just snipped the wiring off.

What followed next was a substantial amount of rewiring, this will be covered in the next post.

The fourth part is now posted, you can read it here: http://www.igorkromin.net/index.php/2015/03/06/rebuilding-the-portabee-3d-printer-part-4/.


Skip down to comments...
A quick disclaimer...

Although I put in a great effort into researching all the topics I cover, mistakes can happen. If you spot something out of place, please do let me know.

All content and opinions expressed on this Blog are my own and do not represent the opinions of my employer (Oracle). Use of any information contained in this blog post/article is subject to this disclaimer.
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...