Igor's Blog

I had a piece of hardwood left over from when I built my TV unit. This piece of wood was large enough to have two people sit on it comfortably, so it was suggested to me to make it into a garden bench. However this piece had a huge void running down one of its sides, which I decided to fill with water-clear polyester resin, same as all my other wood working projects.

This is what the piece looked like.
IMG_1050.jpg


The void went from top to bottom on one part of the wood, it was close to 2 inches deep. I used masking tape and some 50mm aluminium angle to put a makeshift mould around it. This mould would remain on the wood for close to three months as I slowly filled the void.

IMG_1051.jpg IMG_1052.jpg


I ended up using about 5 kg of resin to fill the void and all the other gaps in the wood. Each layer was about 5 mm and took several days to cure. I didn't sand in between layers, just cleaned dust that collected before putting the next layer on. I did end up trapping some specs of dusk at the earlier layers unfortunately so they are visible in the finished product.



It took about 3 months to fill this void (I wasn't working on it every weekend though).

IMG_1054.jpg IMG_1059.jpg


Eventually the resin was level with the top of the wood and the void was completely filled in. At the same time all the other gaps were filled too. Even at this early stage the resin was quite transparent.
IMG_1061.jpg


After the mould and all the masking tape were off, I left the whole thing to dry and cure for two weeks because some of the resin around the inner parts of the mould was still tacky.

When all the resin was cured it was time to cut the wood down to size.

IMG_1062.jpg IMG_1063.jpg



Based on my previous experience with the TV unit sanding, I decided to take on a different approach. Instead of sanding all the resin I used a power plane to cut all the excess off. It looked quite ugly after this because lots of resin chipped, but that wasn't going to affect the final piece too much so I wasn't worried.

IMG_1064.jpg IMG_1066.jpg


After plaining I noticed that some of the resin was still not cured properly so I let it cure for another week before continuing.

Finally it was time to sand it. Most of the chipped resin started to disappear after sanding.
IMG_1067.jpg


This is it for now, I'll put up part two in the next couple of days. Part two wraps up the sanding and lacquer application as well as attaching legs and shows off the final product.

-i

, , ,
About — I'm an enthusiastic software engineer and consultant interested in many fields including J2EE, programming, electronics, 3D printing, video games, wood working and gardening.
See my Resume for more information.
The views expressed in this blog are my own and not those of my employer.
comments powered by Disqus
My other posts you may like...
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, Tech and more.
Follow me on...
Current and Past Projects
See my Resume

Subscribe


RSS Feed

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer

Recent Blog Posts

Handling visibility of mobile only pop-over DIVs on a responsive web site

WebLogic package-name element classpath generator script

Using Jersey 2.x as a shared library on WebLogic 12.1.2

Google DFP with AdSense fallback is causing infinite scroll pages to go haywire

Workaround for Mobile Safari scrollTop() not updating during scroll

Skipping execution of Maven plugins that do not have a native skip option

Unmarshalling an XML fragment representing a JAXB object without XmlRootElement

Injecting a ContainerRequestContext into a Jersey entity provider class

Obfuscating PHP source code with Maven and YAK Pro PO

Making use of corner shelves with easy to make slide out draws

Recent Galleries

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

DIY indoor apartment grow light wiring

Good Friday Electronics fun Easter Bunny LED PCB Kit IBEABU-01.0

Top Categories

Blogs I follow

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth

Friends

RAWS Parts Online
Alpha Dimensions Hosting
Kristensen Photography
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Follow me on... 
     
...or subscribe for updates!

Don't show this again