Igor's Blog

I've been meaning to write this update for a while. The Odroid-XU4 file server I've been working on to replace my existing file server is finally assembled. I've written previously about how I've added an external power button and also externalised the network port, this update shows the final touches including acrylic panels and the Odroid-Show2 placement.

At this point I am not fitting the front panel however. This is due to a problem I had with the laser cutters - more on that later.

The new server looks more or less like this now...

Lets go back a few steps and pick up where I left off after I externalised the network port. After all the internal wiring was completed, I measured all the box dimensions, accounting for the thickness of the double sided tape I was going to use to hold the panels in place. With all the dimensions in hand, I drew diagrams of what the side, top and front panels should look like. The design was very straight forward really.

IMG_1039.jpg IMG_1040.jpg

I was going to have two black side panels and a black top panel with a cut out for the screen. In the last minute I decided to have an additional clear panel cut out for the top without the hole for the screen. The design went off to the laser cutters and I picked it up the next day. Err - what came back was very different to what I actually drew...

The only usable panels were the sides and the clear top. Both the black top with the screen cutout and the front panel didn't match the drawings I made. It was disappointing, but I had little choice so just went with what I had. The last minute decision to include the clear top panel really saved this project. The front panel wasn't so urgently needed at this point since I'd be swapping disks in/out quite often at the beginning anyway.

I used clear double sided tape to secure the side panels first.

IMG_1309.jpg IMG_1311.jpg

The Odroid-Show2 that I was going to use as a system status display wasn't going to fit as it was due to all the pins it had. I simply cut these off because I'd not have any use for them in the future anyway.

IMG_1313.jpg IMG_1314.jpg

Using some double sided tape and a zip tie, the display was secured in place at the top of the enclosure.

The clear panel was attached the same way as the sides, with strips of clear double sided tape. I actually jumped the gun on attaching this because the correct OS wasn't installed on the eMMC card at that point. Since the eMMC card is at the bottom of the XU4, with the top panel secured I had no easy way of accessing it. However since it was possible to boot off the SD card, I ended up using a paper clip to flip the boot switch, booted from the SD card and then copied the correct OS to the eMMC card that way.

The next step was to get all my storage in and start copying data from my current server. At first I started to do this over WiFi but realised that it would take days to copy 3Tb+ of data, so canned that idea and instead removed the HFS+ disks from my Hackintosh server and copied data from disk to disk.

IMG_1320.jpg IMG_1321.jpg

The 4Tb drive was for all the media and the SSD was for temporary and support files e.g. downloads and Plex metadata directories.

The OS setup will be covered in the next post. The OS setup post is available to read here.


, , ,
About — I'm an enthusiastic software engineer and consultant interested in many fields including J2EE, programming, electronics, 3D printing, video games, wood working and gardening.
See my Resume for more information.
The views expressed in this blog are my own and not those of my employer.
comments powered by Disqus
My other posts you may like...
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, Tech and more.
Follow me on...
Current and Past Projects
See my Resume


RSS Feed

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer
Travel ┬ÁBlog

Recent Blog Posts

Base64 Encode or Decode on the command line without installing extra tools on Linux, Windows or macOS

How to install Panel Glide Blinds from Blinds Online

Showing whitespace characters in vi

Using Jackson to automatically convert Java POJOs to JSON as output of a Jersey service

Enable quick access to the keyboard and emoji viewer in macOS

How to tell if your site is served via CloudFlare

Googe Cloud Platform doesn't support CloudFlare's free edge certificates

Fixing the invalid private key error in the Google Cloud Platform App Engine app Settings page

Cleaning the sticky PlayStation controller analogue thumb sticks

Invoking interactive shell scripts non-interactively

Recent Galleries

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

DIY indoor apartment grow light wiring

Good Friday Electronics fun Easter Bunny LED PCB Kit IBEABU-01.0

Top Categories

Blogs I follow

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth


RAWS Parts Online
Alpha Dimensions Hosting
Kristensen Photography
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Follow me on... 
...or subscribe for updates!

Don't show this again