Igor's Blog

I live in an apartment so storage space is always at a premium and so this Holiday Season I took some time to add extra storage and improve on the storage space that was there already. The very first thing I did was make use of that space behind the TV that often goes unused.

Below are a before and after photos of the space behind the TV. Games, DVDs, remotes and controllers can now be stored out of the way but still within reach. In terms of organising this made a huge difference.

The shelf was made out of 8mm clear float glass with polished edges. The cost was around the $30 mark from a local glass cutter and it was made and ready for pick up within hours of me placing the order.

IMG_1428.jpg IMG_1439.jpg

To support the shelf I wanted to use the same kind of discreet brackets that my other black glass floating shelves have, unfortunately I could not find anywhere that sold them (or sold them at a reasonable price). I ended up buying similar brackets from Bunnings and painting them myself (using some automotive paint). It wasn't a perfect match, but it was close enough, anyway the shelf was meant to be hidden!

IMG_1420.jpg IMG_1427.jpg

To paint the brackets, I roughened them up with some sandpaper first and then just spray painted them with two coats, giving the first a couple of hours to dry. The next day they were ready for mounting.

IMG_1423.jpg IMG_1424.jpg

I wasn't exactly sure where the brackets should go but figured that most of the weight would be supported by the rear and the side brackets would only offer minor support. I laid them out symmetrically with what I thought would be a good weight distribution.

Then I marked (with a level ruler) and drilled the holes according to my earlier layout. The holes were just large enough for the wall anchors that I was going to use. At this time I also cleaned up all of the pencil markings I made on the wall with some sugar soap.

IMG_1431.jpg IMG_1432.jpg

These were my wall anchors, just something I had laying around already. These aren't anything special and are easy to install and use - just push them through the holes and tighten the bolt to expand the anchor on the inside of the wall, then unscrew the bolt and screw it in through the shelf bracket.

The test fit was all level!

IMG_1434.jpg IMG_1435.jpg

Worked out pretty well this way I think.

Test fit with all my gaming junk before the TV went back into place.

So there you go. Overall the project cost me around $70, that's for the glass shelf, brackets, anchors and paint. Money very well spent in my opinion. I've got a few more small renovation projects to write about, when that's ready, I'll link them below.

Here's another project I've completed at the apartment to improve the space situation: Pedestal fan transformed into a ceiling fan.


, , ,
About — I'm an enthusiastic software engineer and consultant interested in many fields including J2EE, programming, electronics, 3D printing, video games, wood working and gardening.
See my Resume for more information.
The views expressed in this blog are my own and not those of my employer.
comments powered by Disqus
My other posts you may like...
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, Tech and more.
Follow me on...
Current and Past Projects
See my Resume


RSS Feed

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer

Recent Blog Posts

Handling visibility of mobile only pop-over DIVs on a responsive web site

WebLogic package-name element classpath generator script

Using Jersey 2.x as a shared library on WebLogic 12.1.2

Google DFP with AdSense fallback is causing infinite scroll pages to go haywire

Workaround for Mobile Safari scrollTop() not updating during scroll

Skipping execution of Maven plugins that do not have a native skip option

Unmarshalling an XML fragment representing a JAXB object without XmlRootElement

Injecting a ContainerRequestContext into a Jersey entity provider class

Obfuscating PHP source code with Maven and YAK Pro PO

Making use of corner shelves with easy to make slide out draws

Recent Galleries

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

DIY indoor apartment grow light wiring

Good Friday Electronics fun Easter Bunny LED PCB Kit IBEABU-01.0

Top Categories

Blogs I follow

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth


RAWS Parts Online
Alpha Dimensions Hosting
Kristensen Photography
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Follow me on... 
...or subscribe for updates!

Don't show this again