Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

This is a follow up post from Part 2 where I finished the floor and amplifier fitting, in this post I describe the construction of the subwoofer enclosure.

The plan for building this enclosure was to make a part MDF, part fibreglass box with front and rear sections made out of MDF, an MDF frame and the rest fibreglass. In hindsight I should have used MDF for all sides and just reinforced with fibreglass inside.

The first thing I did was make a template for the front face out of cardboard.
IMG_0724.JPG




Once the template was done, I cut the 18mm MDF front section out, measured out the hole for the subwoofer and cut that out too.
IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG


Then it was time for a test fit.
IMG_0731.JPG


I measured up and cut the rear section to size out of 12mm MDF. The bit of MDF screwed into it is just to keep it in place while marking out the sides that are going to make up the frame of the box.
IMG_0734.JPG


With the side sections marked out and cut, they're attached to the rear.
IMG_0736.JPG


At this point it was time to start using the fibreglass and resin so some precautions were in hand...
IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG


The bottom of the box was made out of scraps, so came in 3 sections, the middle one was fibreglassed in right inside the boot itself, with a plastic sheet covering the boot so it didn't stick.
IMG_0777.JPG


Later on I added the other two bits and more fibreglass all around the edges.
IMG_0781.JPG


Test fitting the subwoofer, there's plenty of space there.
IMG_0783.JPG


The next part was a bit of a challenge, the top section. This had to be custom fit to the shape of the boot, it had curves and couldn't be easily made out of MDF. The solution, some stockings stretched over the box, resin spread over them, then covered with plastic and placed into the boot to match exactly where the box will ultimately sit. This gives the exact shape we are after.
IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG


Once dry and the plastic removed, it was more or less what I wanted, albeit a little rough, but I could fix this later on as it needed many more layers of fibreglass before it was ready.
IMG_0792.JPG


Same treatment was done for the sides.
IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG


Eventually I added all the needed layers of fibreglass and sanded it down to the right shape.
IMG_0795.JPG


The top needed more work to reinforce it. The bubbles seen there aren't important because the resin was added on the inside of the box, the outside was acting as a frame only.
IMG_0799.JPG


To get the sides straight, I mixed the Aeorsil with the resin and let gravity do the work by pouring it on the side and letting it settle.
IMG_0813.JPG


The aerosil mix went on top of the enclosure too. I've cut the speaker terminal connectors in at this point as well.
IMG_0817.JPG


The next post deals with some internals of the enclosure and carpeting, plus the final finish for the install.

Update: Part 4 is here.

-i

Have comments or feedback on what I wrote? Please share them below! Found this useful? Consider sending me a small tip.
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

How to fix Google Cloud SDK dev server error - No module named ipaddr

Adorable but totally metal - Metal Earth 3D Guardians of the Galaxy Groot model kit

Riverside Expressway Cam shut down permanently

Inserting Google DFP ads with Backbone, Underscore and jQuery

How to resolve the domain is already mapped to a project error in Google App Engine

A quick look at the Nyko Super MiniBoss wireless controllers for the SNES mini

Loading and displaying a collection from bootstrapped data in Backbone.js

Add this handy function to your Bash profile file to display the compiled JDK version for a .class file

How does PCBWay stack up as a low budget PCB fab

Resolving the Cannot reference X before supertype constructor is called compiler error in Java

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity