Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

About six months ago I bought the Parrot Flower Power for my chilli planter box. The sensor has been in the same spot for that whole time so I thought that I'd share my experience with it.

My original write up can be found here.

First some screen captures from the app...

IMG_0460.jpg IMG_0461.jpg




IMG_0462.jpg IMG_0463.jpg


It's nice being able to see the variations in temperature and sunlight over the seasons. The fertiliser and water levels are not tied to the season as that's something you can control yourself. This is where I had issues with the Flower Power.

From the fertiliser graph above, you can see that it's stays at 0 for the majority of the time, this was because of a decision I made to stop listening to the notifications by the Flower Power app as it was killing my plants. I would get a notification every few days asking me to add more and more fertiliser, this seemed to have made things very bad for the plants as they started showing signs of too much fertiliser in the ground...yellowed leaves, etc.

The water level notifications is another thing that I stopped paying attention to. Flower Power would ask me to water my plants every single day. I've noticed that as I did that, I had quite a bit of excess water that simply ran out the drain pipe in my planter box. I didn't want to over-water the chillies, so I stopped paying attention to that too.

I think these problems come down to the fact that the sensors in the Flower Power are too short. I had a look at seeing if it can be modded, but due to its design, it's very hard to solder on additional lengths of wire to act as an extended sensor.

So I think this device is OK, but does not work well for a bigger planter box.

-i

Have comments or feedback on what I wrote? Please share them below! Found this useful? Consider sending me a small tip.
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

How to fix Google Cloud SDK dev server error - No module named ipaddr

Adorable but totally metal - Metal Earth 3D Guardians of the Galaxy Groot model kit

Riverside Expressway Cam shut down permanently

Inserting Google DFP ads with Backbone, Underscore and jQuery

How to resolve the domain is already mapped to a project error in Google App Engine

A quick look at the Nyko Super MiniBoss wireless controllers for the SNES mini

Loading and displaying a collection from bootstrapped data in Backbone.js

Add this handy function to your Bash profile file to display the compiled JDK version for a .class file

How does PCBWay stack up as a low budget PCB fab

Resolving the Cannot reference X before supertype constructor is called compiler error in Java

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity