Igor's Blog
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, and Tech

I've been tossing up the idea of either getting a new 3D Printer or a Laser Cutter and then I came across Flux3D which could do both to some extent. After nurturing the idea for about a month I decided that I didn't want to mess around with another 3D Printer until they were easier to use so went for the Laser Cutter. After a number of quotes (some going into tens of thousands of dollars) I hit up eBay and found that for just $550 AUD I could buy a desktop sized laser cutter. I was sceptical, but I went for it. Read on for my experience.
This laser cutter broke within a month of operation so I urge you to buy one like it at your own risk. Read my follow up post about it here.

The cutter I ordered is a third generation machine. There are other reviews online about the second and first generations which tell horror stories. The issues I read about that plague the earlier models seem to be mostly worked out in this version.

Within days of ordering, the package arrived. The delivery driver told me he had it ready the day before but ran out of time to make the drop off, oh well. The box was much bigger than I expected - this is where I started to think 'What did I get myself into?'

The box was quite sturdy with no major damage.

Inside the box was yet another box and lots of foam packaging. Now it was starting to look more manageable.


All the bits were crammed into the cutter itself, including a cryptic note that basically says you got to clean out all of the foam from the cutter before use.


Inside was all of this stuff: exhaust fan, exhaust tubing, water pump, power cord, USB cord, 2x power socket adapters, silicone sealant, adhesive tape, USB key and a burned copy of a DVD. The eBay listing specified that it comes with English instructions which is a lie, but luckily it is not too difficult to figure out.


Inside it's quite a professional looking assembly.

The electronics are neatly arranged, the wires are crimped and the controller board doesn't look like it's been slapped together in a garage.


The actual tube itself is intact. This was my biggest worry. I really didn't want to deal with a smashed tube, but it arrived without a scratch. The wiring is done professionally here too and the cooling pipes attached. There was left over water in the pipes which indicates that the tube was tested before shipping. Kudos!


There is more to cover, including the exhaust and general set up of the cutter, but that's for Part 2. I'll also talk about the minor issues I had with the physical machine in Part 2 and in another post I'll cover the software aspect of it. These will come over the next several days so stay tuned.


Please leave your comments or feedback below!
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...

Recent Blog Posts

How to enable the full stack trace in Maven's Surefire plugin for JUnit testing

Twelve elements of the Burst Mining Pool interface explained

TPG FTTB settings for the Billion BiPAC 8700AXL 1600 modem router

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

How to fix SoapUI javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException calling WebLogic 12.2 web services on Java 8

Woolworths (WOW) shares disappeared from Computer Share Investor Centre

Connecting the Dell UltraSharp U3415W monitor to a MacBookPro via USB-C

How to add/change PHP versions appearing in MAMP preferences

Fix the ORA-00904: ORA_ROWSCN: invalid identifier error in SQLDeveloper with a few easy steps

G Suite Gmail is broken on Safari due to new Google Content Security Policy settings

Recent Galleries

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer
Travel ┬ÁBlog

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Don't forget to
my Facebook page for more great articles!
Don't show this again