Igor's Blog
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, and Tech

This is part 2 of the post about the garden bench I built. If you missed part 1, read it here. In part 1 I got as far as describing the origins of this wood, the huge void it had and how I used water-clear polyester resin to fill it. I also described how I removed all the excess resin after curing and touched on the sanding process.

So taking off where I left off previously - sanding. It was considerably easier to sand the resin down after it was initially cut down with a power plane. The chipping caused by the plane weren't visible after a full sand, except in some of the cracks, which I thought was ok to leave like that.

IMG_1068.jpg IMG_1258.jpg


I had to sand the bottom side lightly, mostly around where the other side of the resin was. Unfortunately this didn't remove the dust that got caught in the first layer of the resin.
IMG_1259.jpg


With all the sanding done it was time to apply varnish. I used Estapol Flooring 7008 two part mixture, with a 3rd part of paint thinner added in to help spread the mixture into cracks easier. It was starting to look great already.

IMG_1263.jpg IMG_1264.jpg




The top of the bench was done and looking awesome!
IMG_1268.jpg


Eventually I got to doing the bottom and the resin became very clear. In total, I put about 4 coats on top and just 1 coat on the bottom of the bench. I didn't try to make the bench as smooth as the TV Unit because I wanted some grip on it - since it's for sitting and all.
IMG_1272.jpg


My dad made the legs for the bench, same as for the coffee table I built. These were made out of mild steel and painted black.
IMG_1274.jpg



After the paint on the legs dried, they were attached to the bench and it was all ready to use!
IMG_1277.jpg


The resin part came out really well and amazingly clear.
IMG_1279.jpg


So that sums it up. The full image gallery for this and previous part of the article can be found here:
Open image gallery


-i

Please leave your comments or feedback below!
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...

Recent Blog Posts

How to enable the full stack trace in Maven's Surefire plugin for JUnit testing

Twelve elements of the Burst Mining Pool interface explained

TPG FTTB settings for the Billion BiPAC 8700AXL 1600 modem router

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

How to fix SoapUI javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException calling WebLogic 12.2 web services on Java 8

Woolworths (WOW) shares disappeared from Computer Share Investor Centre

Connecting the Dell UltraSharp U3415W monitor to a MacBookPro via USB-C

How to add/change PHP versions appearing in MAMP preferences

Fix the ORA-00904: ORA_ROWSCN: invalid identifier error in SQLDeveloper with a few easy steps

G Suite Gmail is broken on Safari due to new Google Content Security Policy settings

Recent Galleries

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer
Travel ┬ÁBlog

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Don't forget to
my Facebook page for more great articles!
Don't show this again