Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

About a month ago I replaced the CF tube in my fish tank with LED strips. It was all good for a while but I noticed a few things starting to go wrong with my first attempt. The LED strips were sagging, the backing glue was just not holding them, and in addition to that all the strips became dimmer and looked like they had some burn in happening.
Unfortunately even this time around the LED strips burned out after a while. I redid everything one more time with car daytime running lights, check out details about that here.


This is what it looked like when I opened up the light fixture...
IMG_1332.jpg


To address the sagging, I decided to cut out some acrylic pieces to hold the LED strips in place. I figured that three should be enough. I didn't bother cleaning them up because they'd be out of sight anyway.

IMG_1331.jpg IMG_1333.jpg


With regard to the burn in, I thought it's either due to heat or electrical current. The acrylic sheets used to stop the sagging should help with heat as they will force the LED strips to be in contact with the base acrylic sheet and dissipate heat through it. I also figured that if I connected the white strips in parallel instead of in series, it could help with any voltage/current issues. I ended up rewiring them slightly...
IMG_1335.jpg




The new wiring diagram looks like this...
AquariumLedCircuit2.png


The new wiring was working as expected.
IMG_1337.jpg


I sealed all the exposed ends with silicone again and let it skin over before fitting back to the fish tank. So far it looks good, but I did order some other LED strips to try out anyway.

IMG_1338.jpg IMG_1340.jpg


-i

Please leave your comments or feedback below!
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

How to stop macOS adding shadows to window screenshots

How to run Atari Lynx games on the SNES Classic Mini

Maven dependency scopes with relation to WAR file packaging and the WEB-INF/lib directory

Hacking the Sonoff B1 WiFi LED bulb to run custom firmware

What does an idle WebLogic server run on the hour to cause a CPU spike

How to open the Sonoff B1 wifi LED bulb to access its internal circuitry

Australian release SNES mini classic unboxing and a quick play through

Troubleshooting high CPU usage for JVM threads

How to fix WebLogic high CPU usage due to a corrupted file store

Mini review of the Sonoff B1 WiFi light bulb

Recent Galleries

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity