Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

I originally had a go of replacing the CF tube in my aquarium a while back. The first attempt didn't work out too well so I had a second go with a slightly different circuit and new LED strips. Unfortunately even the second time around was met with LEDs burning out and going dull. So I decided to take a different approach this time around and use some car daytime running lights instead.

I bought a set of DRLs on eBay. These were already of the exact width I needed. Since these are meant for a car, they were 12V, so I didn't have to modify my existing circuit. Because these DRL strips use individual LEDs not surface mounted ones I had more confidence that they would not burn out (after all they are designed to run all the time while driving and in the rain, etc).

The result turned out quite nice. Instead of three rows I was down to two however. This didn't make much difference to how well lit the aquarium was in the end.
IMG_1476.jpg


These were the lights when they arrived. They had doubled sided tape on them already so it was simply a matter of sticking them onto the piece of acrylic I used previously for my LED strips.

IMG_1471.jpg IMG_1474.jpg


The wiring was more or less the same, except I connected just one strip to the 'white' side and the other strip to the 'blue' side. Refer to my previous posts I mentioned at the beginning for wiring diagrams. This arrangement lets me have either one or both DRLs on at the same time, depending on the second switch I added to the light housing.
IMG_1473.jpg




It was a snug fit with the DRLs in place, but I managed to jam everything in and fit it all back to the aquarium.

IMG_1475.jpg IMG_1532.jpg


Hopefully this time I won't have LED burnout issues.

-i

Please leave your comments or feedback below!
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

WebLogic Maven Plugin - How to fix the MojoExecutionException: The artifact location was not specified

jPhotoFrame version 0.4 released with a whole new layout engine

Upcycling a couple of old broken lamps to create something amazing

A custom exception mapper and writer for a RESTful JAX-RS Jersey service

How to fix Plex error - Sorry there was a problem playing this item

Jersey JAX-RS filters and interceptors execution order for a POST request

Fix your Mac - users not showing on the macOS login screen when FileVault is enabled

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Writing a custom MessageBodyReader to process POST body data with Jersey

How to make Skype for Business responsive again on macOS

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity