Igor's Blog

Yesterday I wrote about the final assembly of the BYOC Mouse kit which included the painted guitar pedal case. What I left out of that post was the process for painting this case, which I'll cover now. As a reminder, the BYOC kits come with guitar pedal cases that are not painted, just bare metal. Below is what the pedal case looked like when it arrived.
IMG_1383.jpg


Originally I wanted to use some kind of graffiti style rat drawing on this pedal and apply it using techniques from this article. Unfortunately after several attempts I didn't succeed and went for simply painting the pedal a hot pink colour. This significantly simplified the process, but it still took several days to complete the painting.

So to get started I used some 800 grit wet and dry sandpaper to clean up the pedal case. This was to remove any dirt and grime that may have been present. After that was done I sprayed a coat of automotive primer. The primer filled out some of the small imperfections in the case.

IMG_1384.jpg IMG_1385.jpg


After letting the primer coat dry, I wet sanded it with the same 800 grit sandpaper and then let it dry. I didn't bother with a second primer coat.
IMG_1387.jpg


After the pedal was dry, I sprayed it with the first coat of hot pink. Then I let it dry for several hours before wet sanding it (again with 800 grit), letting it dry and then applying another coat of paint. Overall there were three coats of hot pink paint on the pedal. From my earlier attempts I noticed that if I put any more coats than this, the hot pink would turn to a hot red and that was not my desired outcome.

IMG_1392.jpg IMG_1417.jpg




After applying the final coat of hot pink I let the paint cure for about 24 hours before doing a quick wet sand with 800 grit paper again. I didn't bother going up to 1200 grit since this was giving me decent results. I then sprayed a coat of clear gloss on top, let it dry and sprayed another light coat of clear gloss again. I think that I could have gone with more gloss coats but I was running out of time so left it at two.

IMG_1550.jpg IMG_1551.jpg


Once everything was dry, I stuck on some rubber feet on the base of the pedal.
IMG_1569.jpg


This was the end result (without all the knobs fitted). The paint came up quite nice I thought though there was a bit of a difference in colour between the lid and the pedal body. This should not be visible since the lid is on the bottom most of the time.
IMG_1567.jpg


This isn't the perfect way to paint this pedal and it was my first real attempt at making a professional looking finish. I think there were many things I could have done better but given the limited time I had I think the end result was acceptable.

If you want to read about how this pedal was tested, head on over here: Testing the BYOC Mouse Guitar Pedal.

-i

, , ,
About — I'm an enthusiastic software engineer and consultant interested in many fields including J2EE, programming, electronics, 3D printing, video games, wood working and gardening.
See my Resume for more information.
The views expressed in this blog are my own and not those of my employer.
comments powered by Disqus
My other posts you may like...
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, Tech and more.
Follow me on...
Current and Past Projects
See my Resume

Subscribe


RSS Feed

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer
Travel ┬ÁBlog

Recent Blog Posts

Showing whitespace characters in vi

Using Jackson to automatically convert Java POJOs to JSON as output of a Jersey service

Enable quick access to the keyboard and emoji viewer in macOS

How to tell if your site is served via CloudFlare

Googe Cloud Platform doesn't support CloudFlare's free edge certificates

Fixing the invalid private key error in the Google Cloud Platform App Engine app Settings page

Cleaning the sticky PlayStation controller analogue thumb sticks

Invoking interactive shell scripts non-interactively

Using variables as column numbers with Bash and Awk when processing text files

Debugging Google DFP ad delivery via the publisher console

Recent Galleries

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

DIY indoor apartment grow light wiring

Good Friday Electronics fun Easter Bunny LED PCB Kit IBEABU-01.0

Top Categories

Blogs I follow

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth

Friends

RAWS Parts Online
Alpha Dimensions Hosting
Kristensen Photography
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Follow me on... 
     
...or subscribe for updates!

Don't show this again