Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

I was in the process of adding a custom domain to a newly deployed project in Google App Engine when I came across this error - "domain is already mapped to a project." This was baffling as I've never had this domain mapped to any project and no-one else would have been able to map it either since that requires domain verification.

In my case the domain was atarigamer.com and this was the error I was seeing...

The error appeared after completing the domain verification steps.

There was no way to resolve this via the web interface so I turned to the gcloud tool. There was a beta feature in the tool that allowed for domain mapping configuration. The gcloud tool is part of the Google Cloud SDK which can be downloaded here.

To add a custom domain to your project simply run something like this...
gcloud --project=<your_project_id> beta app domain-mappings create <domain>

Replace <your_project_id> with the ID of your project as found in the Google Cloud App Engine Console. Replace <domain> with the domain name you want to map to your project.

In my case the output was something like this...
Created [atarigamer.com].
Please add the following entries to your domain registrar. DNS changes can require up to 24 hours to take effect.
id: atarigamer.com
- rrdata:
- rrdata:
- rrdata:
- rrdata:
- rrdata: 2001:4860:4802:32::15
type: AAAA
- rrdata: 2001:4860:4802:34::15
type: AAAA
- rrdata: 2001:4860:4802:36::15
type: AAAA
- rrdata: 2001:4860:4802:38::15
type: AAAA

The output is not the best but if you've mapped a custom domain to an App Engine project it's easy to follow. The first four IPs are the 'A' records for the domain. The IPv6 IPs are the 'AAAA' records for the domain. All of these need to be put into your registra's DNS.

When I went back to the Google Cloud App Engine Console I could see that the mapping was successfully created and was pending SSL certificate activation.

The only thing that this didn't do was create the 'CNAME' record for the 'www' subdomain. I wasn't too worried about that as I wasn't planning to use it anyway.


Have comments or feedback on what I wrote? Please share them below! Found this useful? Consider sending me a small tip.
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

How to fix Google Cloud SDK dev server error - No module named ipaddr

Adorable but totally metal - Metal Earth 3D Guardians of the Galaxy Groot model kit

Riverside Expressway Cam shut down permanently

Inserting Google DFP ads with Backbone, Underscore and jQuery

How to resolve the domain is already mapped to a project error in Google App Engine

A quick look at the Nyko Super MiniBoss wireless controllers for the SNES mini

Loading and displaying a collection from bootstrapped data in Backbone.js

Add this handy function to your Bash profile file to display the compiled JDK version for a .class file

How does PCBWay stack up as a low budget PCB fab

Resolving the Cannot reference X before supertype constructor is called compiler error in Java

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity