Igor's Blog
Programming, DIY, Games, Hacks, and Tech

This is a coffee table I made out of recycled hardwood that I purchased from The Big Red Shed. I had some help from my dad on the metalwork side of things, but the rest was all done over several weeks between work by me. This was my first project of this kind and was meant to be as an experiment. There were some epic failures during the creation of this coffee table, but the end result is still quite amazing!

This is part 1 of the article, you can read part 2 here.

The end result speaks for itself...it turned out quite nice...

So lets see what I had to work with from the beginning...it had potential! This was a ~2m piece of hardwood that's been cut in two. Each of the parts was close to 1m in length with one side slightly longer but having rough ends that needed to be trimmed.

Before I got to joining the two pieces of wood together, I asked my dad to help me with the legs. For this we used 5mm mild steel bars. These were cut to size, rounded off on the edges and bent into shape. All in all about an hour's worth of work.

IMG_0251.jpg IMG_0252.jpg

The holes for the screws were drilled before bending.

The bars were bent by hand on a bending bench vice (don't actually know the name of it, but that's what it does).

IMG_0254.jpg IMG_0255.jpg

In the end we got some nice legs for the table. These were made to be around 33cm high.

IMG_0258.jpg IMG_0259.jpg

Before painting the legs I used some steel wool to remove dirt and to smooth them over a little.

After having the legs all cleaned up, I hung them on a tree in the backyard to give them the first coat of matte black paint. The idea was to keep them matte, but that didn't work out too well as the paint kept on coming off whenever something hard touched the legs. I fixed that by applying clear acrylic over the top.

The tree is not a good spot to hang these as it tends to shed a fair amount of dust. For the remainder of the coats (2 more black and 2 clear over the top) I hung them in the middle of the yard off the clothes line. The legs came up semi-gloss, which is perfect for this table style.

That's about it for the legs and the end of this post. The next post will get into how I joined the two pieces of wood together and how the mould for the clear casting resin was put together. The resin was used to fill in the gaps between the wood sections for a seamless finish.

Continue reading this article's part 2 here.


Please leave your comments or feedback below!
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...

Recent Blog Posts

How to enable the full stack trace in Maven's Surefire plugin for JUnit testing

Twelve elements of the Burst Mining Pool interface explained

TPG FTTB settings for the Billion BiPAC 8700AXL 1600 modem router

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

How to fix SoapUI javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException calling WebLogic 12.2 web services on Java 8

Woolworths (WOW) shares disappeared from Computer Share Investor Centre

Connecting the Dell UltraSharp U3415W monitor to a MacBookPro via USB-C

How to add/change PHP versions appearing in MAMP preferences

Fix the ORA-00904: ORA_ROWSCN: invalid identifier error in SQLDeveloper with a few easy steps

G Suite Gmail is broken on Safari due to new Google Content Security Policy settings

Recent Galleries

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

DIY spare parts computer build with a RAIDMAX Anura case

Fake 'Lepin' brand Lego packaging

Hardwood garden bench with clear resin void filler

Fixing a 3D printer extruder that stopped heating up

Easily increase disk space in a Lenovo Ideapad 100S 14" laptop with an M.2 SSD

Making a multi-piece 3D printed solder spool holder stand

My Other Web Sites

Igor and Elise's Travels
Riverside Expressway Cam
300 George St Blogumentary

My Online Tools

UUID to OID Converter
Guru JSON-RPC Tester
Extrudifier Object Designer
Travel ┬ÁBlog

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity
Don't forget to
my Facebook page for more great articles!
Don't show this again