Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

This is a coffee table I made out of recycled hardwood that I purchased from The Big Red Shed. I had some help from my dad on the metalwork side of things, but the rest was all done over several weeks between work by me. This was my first project of this kind and was meant to be as an experiment. There were some epic failures during the creation of this coffee table, but the end result is still quite amazing!

This article is split up into four parts, you can skip between them using links below...

Prior to joining the two pieces I made sure that the working area was nice and level.

IMG_0261.jpg IMG_0262.jpg


The two pieces were going to be joined with 12.5mm dowel at evenly spaced intervals. I drilled into the wood with a smaller drill bit first, then used a 12.5mm bit to get the right sized holes.

IMG_0263.jpg IMG_0265.jpg


The dowel pieces were quite big - 6.5cm in length. Originally I started off with 10cm pieces but these refused to sit properly and I had to pry them out.

IMG_0266.jpg IMG_0267.jpg




I used a rubber mallet to hammer the two pieces of wood together, this avoided getting any more dints and generally damaging the wood. You can see the original long dowels I tried to use in the photo. The fit was quite tight in the end and the two bits of wood were quite level already.
IMG_0266.jpg


Next I cut off the bit that was sticking out to make it more level with the rest of the table.

IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0277.jpg



Now since I was going to use casting resin to make the whole table into one flat rectangular prism, I had to put a makeshift mould around the edges to pour the resin into. For this I used 50mm aluminium angle that I coated with mould release.

IMG_0279.jpg IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg



An hour later and whole lot of masking tape has sealed the gaps where the resin would leak.

IMG_0283.jpg IMG_0284.jpg


The table top was now ready for the resin to be poured. I'll talk about that in the next post, as well as the absolute disaster that the resin turned out to be and how I went about fixing it.

Continue reading this article's part 3 here.

-i

Have comments or feedback on what I wrote? Please share them below! Found this useful? Consider sending me a small tip.
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

Oracle WebLogic Maven Plugin wsgen goal not respecting the Maven Compiler Plugin version

How to fix Google Cloud SDK dev server error - No module named ipaddr

Adorable but totally metal - Metal Earth 3D Guardians of the Galaxy Groot model kit

Riverside Expressway Cam shut down permanently

Inserting Google DFP ads with Backbone, Underscore and jQuery

How to resolve the domain is already mapped to a project error in Google App Engine

A quick look at the Nyko Super MiniBoss wireless controllers for the SNES mini

Loading and displaying a collection from bootstrapped data in Backbone.js

Add this handy function to your Bash profile file to display the compiled JDK version for a .class file

How does PCBWay stack up as a low budget PCB fab

Recent Galleries

BMB-012 Nanoblock T-Rex Skeleton Model assembly

Tiny Arcade revision 6 kit assembly and decal application

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity