Igor Kromin |   Consultant. Coder. Blogger. Tinkerer. Gamer.

A while back I ordered a bunch of fake Lego kits from China and did a quick review of the included minifigs for the AT-DP kit. This series of posts completes that review. Before we get into the details however, here's a photo of the fully assembled kit (available from AliExpress)...

As you can see the quality is pretty good overall! I was surprised by how good the bricks actually were. If you don't look too closely you would not even know that it was a fake.

This kit has been a lot of fun to build. There were some very intricate connections between bricks and some bricks had very unusual in shape. Everything fit tightly where needed and gave room for movement where movement was due e.g. the top part of the AT-DP rotates, the legs bend at the joints, etc.

So lets see what was in the kit. As I said in my previous posts (linked above), none of the kits came in boxes. All I had was a bunch of unlabelled bags and the instruction manual. No big deal. The manual had a clearly fake "Space Wars" logo on the front. The quality of the print in the manual was great, no blurring or misprints. The instructions were very clear too.

DSC01874.JPG DSC01875.JPG

There were defects in the bricks. I didn't think any of these were too bad though, certainly nothing that interfered with the construction. I'd put most of these down as slight quality control issues and cosmetic problems.

The most obvious were the injection point defects on the studs (the bumps on top of the brick) and lines where moulds didn't fully align. By far these were the most common defects I saw. You will also notice that none of the studs had any kind of logo, unlike the official Lego bricks.

DSC01876.JPG DSC01877.JPG

The bottom side of the bricks had misaligned mould marks and some places bits of plastic were left stuck to the brick from over pouring (I assume) and not cutting excess off properly.

DSC01878.JPG DSC01880.JPG

Mind you, not all bricks had these problems. Some of the bricks appeared to be perfectly moulded, perhaps some moulds are better made. Others though, had some other strange defects in them ranging from missing bits of inner walls to some kind of scratch marks.

DSC01882.JPG DSC01883.JPG

I also saw some snap off point issues in places. These are not terrible but just don't look nice.

Some of the larger bricks had numerical markings on the inside, not sure what that was about. Most of the connector pegs were poorly made with lots of left over bits of plastic and injection marks but somehow it didn't interfere with the construction much.

DSC01886.JPG DSC01887.JPG

Now that about covers the defects I encountered. There will be a couple more mentioned later in my write up, which were specific to the construction of the kit, not the bricks overall.

As I said earlier, the bricks fit very well. It was just the right tightness and there were no gaps when they were assembled together.

DSC01888.JPG DSC01890.JPG

It all fit very well in fact. Even the pieces that I was expecting to misalign were flush. The manual was also surprisingly good and to scale!

DSC01892.JPG DSC01894.JPG

Not long into the build I had the first part of the AT-DT assembled. This was the internal part of the cockpit where the Storm Troopers sit.

That's the end of this first part of the review, you can continue reading the second part at this link: Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit review (fake Chinese Lego clone) - part 2.

If you're interested in getting this kit, you can purchase it here: 2016 Legeod Star Wars AT-DP.


Please leave your comments or feedback below!
comments powered by Disqus
Other posts you may like...
Hi! You can search my blog here ⤵
Or browse the recent top tags...

Recent Blog Posts

How to stop macOS adding shadows to window screenshots

How to run Atari Lynx games on the SNES Classic Mini

Maven dependency scopes with relation to WAR file packaging and the WEB-INF/lib directory

Hacking the Sonoff B1 WiFi LED bulb to run custom firmware

What does an idle WebLogic server run on the hour to cause a CPU spike

How to open the Sonoff B1 wifi LED bulb to access its internal circuitry

Australian release SNES mini classic unboxing and a quick play through

Troubleshooting high CPU usage for JVM threads

How to fix WebLogic high CPU usage due to a corrupted file store

Mini review of the Sonoff B1 WiFi light bulb

Recent Galleries

Atari Lynx repair - Part 5 - McWill LED screen mod installation

Atari Lynx repair - Part 4 - screen cover replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 2 - re-capping the motherboard

Atari Lynx repair - Part 3 - broken speaker replacement

Atari Lynx repair - Part 1 - introduction and case disassembly

Building a custom Atari Lynx game box storage shelf unit in a day

Protecting old Atari Lynx game boxes with snug fit plastic sleeves

Monument Valley 2 is released and does not disappoint

Space Food - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Legeod Star Wars AT-DP kit

Blogs and Friends

Matt Moores Blog
Georgi's FlatPress Guide
Perplexing Permutations
The Security Sleuth
Ilia Rogatchevski
Travelling Fairy

Blog Activity

Blog Activity